The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I have seen this happen. I recently replaced my floodlight "try" but didn't like them for several reasons and put my old T5 fluval fixtures on the tank. They have been on a week or so and really liking the tank again. I had a single fixture unused and decided I'd like another "punch" to the tank and put it on this evening with a brand new 4100k T5 from Home Depot I picked up today. It added the touch I wanted.

Since adding that light this evening I noticed my plants were pearling maybe 4 hours later. Would adding this extra light be the reason for this? I am interested in knowing if this could be the reason. All other things are the same...non co2 and have not done a water change. The other tubes are 2x10000k and 2x 6400k. Thanks for any input.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Pearling is a rare event for me. Like your Aurora Borealis. It usually happens after a water change. That extra light must have been the light that broke the camel's back. Sorry, that's the best I could come up with. I would take it as a good sign and an accomplishment.

·
Super Moderator
11,999 Posts
It is entirely possible that the addition of the light caused your plants to start pearling.
Pearling is a rare event for me. Like your Aurora Borealis. It usually happens after a water change. That extra light must have been the light that broke the camel's back. Sorry, that's the best I could come up with. I would take it as a good sign and an accomplishment.
I would say that pearling is not that rare, particularly if the circumstances are right (e.g. healthy plants, lots of light producing more oxygen that water can hold, etc).

After a water change though, any pearling that you see is likely just due to excess dissolved gases

·
Banned
628 Posts
It is entirely possible that the addition of the light caused your plants to start pearling.

I would say that pearling is not that rare, particularly if the circumstances are right (e.g. healthy plants, lots of light producing more oxygen that water can hold, etc).

After a water change though, any pearling that you see is likely just due to excess dissolved gases
So not real pearling? Just oversaturation? My lights aren't very strong even when turned up. I consequently don't push the CO2 a full point pH drop. I used to get midweek pearling when I had better lights.

·
Super Moderator
11,999 Posts
It depends on the situation. If you see pearling, but did not do a water change recently, then I'd say it's probably real. However, if you see pearling and did a water change recently, then it's likely to be 'false' pearling.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Like mentioned above, what you are seeing after a water change is not pearling.

In general no CO2 tanks will not pearl. In a high light CO2 tank, it happens when the plants are at peak growth and photosynthesizing and the water column is saturated with oxygen. The excess oxygen sticks to the leaves which is what you are seeing.

And many confuse a stream of O2 coming from a damaged leave or stem as pearling. Pearling does not stream, it sticks to the plants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts