The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week and a half ago I had a smaller school of vietnamese minnows to my (heavily) planted nano tank. This tank has been running for almost three years. I've had very few problems with it. Recently, its only fish-inhabitant has been one (very) old and lonely tetra. A couple of days after adding the new fish to the tank several of my crypts started melting... is it possible that the added bioload could have cause the crypts melting? It's not a huge problem since my crypts always tend to grow back after some time - but is it a possible cause for the melting? >:)

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Before being able to judge how much effect the fish "may" have had, there is quite a bit information missing. Any change in the overall water parameters will depend on how many new fish as well as how large the tank. The definition of "smaller group" is not clear as some might think of 3, while others may think 20!
The effect of three new fish in 10 gallons will be much greater than in 55 gallons.
But all that aside, I would not think melting of plants would be nearly as obviously caused by a sudden increase in bio load as fish death or disease! Any sudden increase in ammonia seems to effect fish far more than plants.
Perhaps other changes might be to blame? Anything like a pretty heavy cleaning or rearrangement that would disrupt the plants, even though it did not seem like much change? Any changes in fert dosing or CO2 use? Any light or schedule changes?
I might try to look for other causes.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I've had Crypts melt from just changing out T5 lightbulbs. That is one plant that does not do well with change. I'd be surprised that in a 3 year old mature tank, that the addition of a presumably small mass of fish (and the nutrient bumps that come along with that) would be enough to do so, though. I have Cryptocorynes in every tank I own, and sometimes change the fauna loads pretty drastically. That's about the only way I've never (yet!) experienced melt though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.