The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my 125 is getting settled in, and I'm starting to notice things - for one, I had a dead area running along the length of the tank in the front, along the very bottom at the substrate. I use a Marineland Emperor 400 HOB centered on the back glass along with a 19" x 20" Hamburg Mattenfilter taking up the left side glass (which is up against a wall so I don't notice it). Because of this I have a Koralia 425 coming out of the HMF near the top at the front of the tank, and a return Koralia 425 low on the opposite corner - giving me circular flow that goes right under the intake of the HOB.

I bought several Koralia 425s on Black Friday, and one was for the dead area of this tank, low and in front. I'm happy to say I just installed it and what a difference! I thought I was vacuuming that front corner well when doing water changes, but as soon as I plugged the 425 in, a cloud of detritus blew up, straight into the existing circular current, and then to the HOB. Sweet!

Just wanted to share my happiness - lol I love those Koralias!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I'm waiting for a photobucket vid to upload, I have an update to share. I was worried the flow was too strong - all my fish stayed at the opposite end of the tank since I put it in. Well I have two clumps of bolbitis in the tank - one small clump I put on driftwood directly in the path of the HOB flow. It took a few months (this is a low tech tank) but it came alive from a little sprig of nothing to a little sprig of lushness - lol. The larger clump I had stuck below that, but it wasn't within inches of a flow like the bitty thing. So about an hour ago I tore it out and wedged it between some rocks, right in front of the new Koralia. Turns out the bigger clump was actually 5 pieces of rhizomes 2" to 4" inches in length. They are still bare bones - the few long leaves that survived shipping are there, but no new growth except on one of the pieces. Actually, I was pleased to see that because I didn't think there was any new growth at all. When I got the bolbitis in the summer, it had melted something fierce - I wasn't sure if it was even worth putting in the tank, but it all lived.

Now these pieces in front of the new Koralia don't block any flow yet - they will have to grow in. But voila! Suddenly the fish are going crazy at the Koralia. At first I think it was curiosity, then they seemed to really enjoy it. Or it bugs them, who can tell - lol. They go from the lower new pump up to the pump that is part of the Mattenfilter. I will say the new flow was flattening my young crypts, so I angled it up a few degrees - still plenty of flow brushing the substrate. The vid was after I added the initial bolbitis (see the dark stringy things? haha) afterward, I added more rock and more bolbitis, and changed the angle of the flow...hopefully by tomorrow the fish will be used to it and stop crowding the other side. I put my hand in front of it and I don't see how it's any different than the other Koralias..

http://s1352.beta.photobucket.com/user/coatfetish/media/VIDEO0066.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.