The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since adding the wood and weighing it down to water log it went through the white growth phase which I know is normal. It's been several weeks since and it's pretty much all gone now.

But ever since adding the wood I noticed my inlet and outlet tubes and glass wear is getting dark brown stuff all over it. The glass is dirty, the plants got covered in dark dirty looking stuff.

I did a clean and it has returned, not as bad this time. Is this going to end at some point? Or is this something I need to deal with from now on.

I should mention the canister was pretty dirty brown too substrate appears to stay clean though. Could be due to my fish. Even my eheim skimmer seems to block up really quick lately.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Generally spiderwood is a 'cleaner' acclimation since it doesn't release as much tannins since it's a root as opposed to a branch. Can you remove the wood and see if it goes away after cleaning? Is it definitely spiderwood?

·
Registered
452 Posts
How old is the tank and what kind of substrate? It almost sounds like diatoms. Can the brown stuff be easily wiped off with your finger? If they are diatoms, it's due to a high amount of silicates, common in newer set up tanks, and more pronounced with a sand substrate. The good news is that it'll clear out over time, if you just keep cleaning it off.

I don't think it's due to the spiderwood (or any wood).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Fresh wood can also add a large amounts of organics and tanins. Some algae can also come with the wood or be favoured by wood decomposition.

My first guess would be tanin stains (on biofilm and glass).
Second guess: Does the dark stuff look like BGA (blue green algae) or diatoms ?

Try adding some activated carbon and see if no new stains appear.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, but it hasn't been scaped yet. Just thrown stuff in and waiting for wood to water log.

At that stage it wasn't nearly as bad as it got a week later. Both pipes and hoses are bad now. The tank glass and inside the canister. It's kind of like brown sludge, must be from the wood I figure.

The sand is old sand. It's pool filter sand.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks :) I am dying to scape it and tied down the plants and add the rock. Damn wood is taking its time sinking.

As for the mucky stuff, do you think it will eventually go away? Stop dirtying my whole tank?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Could it be mulm accumulating in the pipes and hoses? It can be cleaned out with a pipe cleaner right? I think you may just have to clean it regularly? Just throwing thoughts out there. If the plants are doing well and there's no algae growth, then it's not anything to worry about as far as plant/fish health goes.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not mulm, I used to have the tank stock way high and never had to clean the hoses this much. I use a cleaner to get them spotless. In a week or two they are bad again. Only 7 small fish in there.

No algae growth either.

·
Registered
691 Posts
All you have observed, i have as well. I think it is normal. Just keep cleaning and it will get much better as the tank matures. I have no idea what the brown stuff really is and maybe someone will be able to explain it. It has never caused any issues other than being unsightly. I find it easy to clean up during routine maintenance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.