The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting this in the low tech section because I don't do Co2 and so I don't need to circulate the water to distribute dosings - that's not saying I don't need to circulate the water - that's what I hope to find out.
This is a 55g, and I hope you can see my Whisper HOB (for 30-60g tanks, the biggest one they make) to the far left of center (near the center is the heater). I have the HOB at about 3/4 power, rippling the surface nicely. The right side of the tank has very little movement - actually the little cardinals and the rams seem to like it there, I assume because it's calm. In reality, the whole tank is calm - the Whisper doesn't disturb much. I can see particles floating about close to the intake grill and many don't go anywhere near it, which is annoying. At least it doesn't suck up fish! lol
I have another, smaller new Whisper rated 20-40g tanks. I was thinking about hanging it to the immediate right of the big quartz rock you see holding down my driftwood - right where you see the hornwort - for a little extra circulation/filtration. Or would you put in a power head in that spot? (I think that's what they're called, it's been a long time since I looked at them)
I want a quiet blackwater tank, and I don't know if you can control the power head's flow. Also that's the main traffic path the tetras use to get from side to side. I think a power head would disturb them. I'm thinking I'd benefit more with the extra filtration, and that should also give me some circulation too, don't you think?.
By the way, at the recommendation of folks here I swapped out my used up Tetra carbon filters for plain filter floss I bought at work (I work in a fabric dept. and bought polyester quilt batting) and I've been amazed at the difference in the water clarity! It's only been 12 hours or so, but I'm seeing improvement already.
Yes, the tank really looks that yellow. My 40b never looked like that even though it has driftwood too - only a twig by comparison to the 55's. I presume it's due to my using MGOPS under pea gravel/FloraMax, where the 40b only has pea gravel/FloraMax - no potting soil. The tannins are leaching out of the peat as well as the driftwood, I'd guess. I know it's not for everyone, but it's grown on me.
My lighting is a 48" aluminum shop light with 2 T8s - one's an Aqueon 8000 full spectrum, the other is a Phillips 6500 daylight. Maybe the lights give a yellow tinge, I don't know.
Anyway, should I add the extra HOB that's just hanging around, or a power head? Or leave it be? This and the 40b are my first planted tanks, and I want to do low tech the right way : )
Thanks!
PS - once the driftwood stops floating, I'll remove the quartz! lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
i'd say put in that second filter, i guess cuz its what i'm doing and everything is great. it puts your mind at ease when you change one filter, that there's a backup bacterial colony. oh i remember those tannin days!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't know why the pic looks so dark - it didn't on my file. Here's one I lightened - lighter than the real thing, but maybe it'll look normal here.
yeah, that's much closer to how it looks in person.
Since I have the extra filter, I guess I'll put in in this weekend...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts