The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 breeder with a full grown Bolivian ram and a few cories. Is it possible to add a few juveniles and eventually end up with a pair? Would like to see some breeding action. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Question remains, can I add a few juveniles to pair them up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
IMO getting them around the same size would be better and removing the trouble makers would give you a better chance at getting a match. From my experience with dwarf cichlids if one is older and has established a tank of its own any other member of the same species is fair game for harassment and the little guy almost always suffers. This may be different with rams, I can not say as I haven't owned any personally. This as just based on my experience with cichlids in general.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
The trick with adding juveniles to an established tank with adult Rams is density. I have had about 20 juveniles growing out with an adult male in a 30 gallon and all was fine. When they first hit the tank the male chased them for a couple hours, but settled down after this. I would do at least 5-6 juveniles with the adult ram.
Rams are generally most aggressive to other fish when they are breeding. I have also had a dark Ram male kill a female ram after spawning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts