The Planted Tank Forum banner

Add ammonia to Controsoil?

2665 6
Hi,

I’m starting my first planted tank with Controsoil. My question has to do with the Nitrogen cycle. Controsoil says it has low ammonia release. I have tested at 1ppm for the last three days and have been dosing seachem stability as per the instruction on the bottle. Is the 1ppm ammonia leach I am getting enough, or should I add more ammonia? If so what level of ammonia should I aim for?

Thanks!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
An old thread but I am having the same issue. Going on day 2 now with zero ammonia from my Controsoil, 0 Nitires and 0 Nitrate as well. 6.6 PH.

I thought the Controsoil would at least give me some ammonia.

I was thinking of adding a Betta to get things rolling but I also have Dr. Tim’s liquid am. I mean I chose Controsoil because of it’s lack of ammonia leech but did not expect it to be non existent.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
An old thread but I am having the same issue. Going on day 2 now with zero ammonia from my Controsoil, 0 Nitires and 0 Nitrate as well. 6.6 PH.

I thought the Controsoil would at least give me some ammonia.

I was thinking of adding a Betta to get things rolling but I also have Dr. Tim’s liquid am. I mean I chose Controsoil because of it’s lack of ammonia leech but did not expect it to be non existent.
Try adding some ammonia and see what happens. If it's processed, add the betta.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don’t mind doing the water changes and I add fish very slowly. It was just to get ammonia in there - a slow fish in cycle. It’s a 60 gallon so the betta would never create enough ammonia itself to be harmful. But I’ve decided against it as it would take forever I’d rather be able to add whatever in 4 weeks or so.

Still I am shocked to see this Controsoil literally not giving out any ammonia. I have a golf ball sized Christmas moss and a bunch of tiny tissue culture plants and 40L of Controsoil...so I assumed there should be something.

Oh well guess I’ll add ammonia myself.
Water Plant Vertebrate Light Rectangle

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t mind doing the water changes and I add fish very slowly. It was just to get ammonia in there - a slow fish in cycle. It’s a 60 gallon so the betta would never create enough ammonia itself to be harmful. But I’ve decided against it as it would take forever I’d rather be able to add whatever in 4 weeks or so.

Still I am shocked to see this Controsoil literally not giving out any ammonia. I have a golf ball sized Christmas moss and a bunch of tiny tissue culture plants and 40L of Controsoil...so I assumed there should be something.

Oh well guess I’ll add ammonia myself.
View attachment 904657

Checking if adding ammonia helped in your case? How long did it take?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.