The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
See that little sticker in the bottom right hand corner of their tanks? That's why. It's for the label more than anything else. ADA's got high quality stuff, but IMO they are way overpriced

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Because some people will actually pay their asking price. Why are water bottles $5 at sporting events? Because people will pay that much. If no one would buy their products, they would lower their prices to accommodate their business needs.

I have never bought an aquarium from ADA, but i do have to admit that they look very well built and very sleek. I'm just not sure if i'll be paying $70+ for a 5 gallon anytime soon.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
ADA's made in japan? darn even the rock is like 4$ a pound.! is there any other competition brand
They aren't shipping the aquariums yet, but Green Leaf Aquariums has almost everything that ADA does at a lot cheaper price. Very similar in quality too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
nike, gucci etc.. pos clothing at a ridiculous price. its the label.

also aqua cal price is going up steadily too..

40 dollars for curved 10" sissors? ridonkulous...

·
Registered
558 Posts
lol dude you validated my point by your statement

what i meant was that even with hyundai being car of the year and having all the same stuff as those its still a lot cheaper in cost, why? label

sorry for the ambiguity, online sucks for ambiguity lol

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
They aren't shipping the aquariums yet, but Green Leaf Aquariums has almost everything that ADA does at a lot cheaper price. Very similar in quality too.
I can vouch for the quality. Having seen the ADA stuff and GLA merchandise, they are nearly identical in quality but at a fraction of the cost. It's good stuff and I plan on buying some as soon as I get paid.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
:iamwithst
I was gonna say the same thing. Orlando did a smart thing opening a store to compete with ADA with the same level of quality, sometimes even better

·
Registered
414 Posts
lol dude you validated my point by your statement

what i meant was that even with hyundai being car of the year and having all the same stuff as those its still a lot cheaper in cost, why? label

sorry for the ambiguity, online sucks for ambiguity lol
Not to start a war, but saying Mercedes cost so much because of the label is completely wrong. The technology, R&D, materials and most importantly the finish that goes into a Mercedes et al is what makes the price. Sure the brand has a mark-up along with it, but ride a Hyundai and then ride in a Mercedes or BMW and you'll see why...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It's good to know that ADA has competitions. When someone can come up with something like Amazonia for a fraction of the cost I will truly be happy.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
It's good to know that ADA has competitions. When someone can come up with something like Amazonia for a fraction of the cost I will truly be happy.
There is florabase, but it's not the same color.
There are also some alternatives sold overseas, but I guess there isn't enough of a market for it yet over here.

GLA only opened recently. When they start selling their smaller tanks online, I'm sure you'll see a bunch of them pooping up all over the forum.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Almost all ADA stuff can be reproduced with near or the same look/quality except for specialties such as Amazonia.

It's expensive because everything is expensive in Japan compared to USD, it makes no sense for them to export for anything less than what they can get locally unless the volume is so high such as the case with automobiles...

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
There is. It's called potting soil. *hint hint CL* :hihi:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
There is florabase, but it's not the same color.
And at roughly $24 for 12lbs, more expensive than aquasoil.
I understand the complaints about the price of ADA equipment and ferts, but their tanks are really decent for the quality, and Aquasoil is one of the cheapest non-DIY substrates! There is twice the substrate in a bag of Amazonia as there is in Eco-complete, I've measured it!

That said, I'll probably switch to SMS and mineralized soil in the future...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts