The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a relative newbe to planted tanks and need to know about plants that are grown emersed. I’ve been trying to get Dwarf Hairgrass and Pygmy Chain swords to grow as ground cover in my tank. Both plants were ordered online and it’s clear they were grown emersed due to the flower spikes. When I submerge them in the tank, they just seem to melt over the course of a couple weeks. Is there anything in particular I need to do to prepare them for submerged life? Or will they come back on their own?

I’m using a natural planted setup, so no ferts etc. Just a soil under layer capped with small gravel.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
If the plants were grown emersed, and you want to grow them submersed, there will be a period of time where they will melt because of the new environment they are placed in. As a result, you will need to wait a few weeks before they bounce back.

However, as timwag2001 mentioned, growing carpets will in general, require strong lighting as well as CO2. With strong lighting, fertilizers will also become a necessity.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Indeed, they go through a pretty ugly transition stage. I've got some E. tenellus moving from emersed to submersed right now...beautiful huge plants have gone down to almost nothing, but are growing back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.