The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For hardscape I'm thinking either Seiryu or petrified wood depending on what I can find that will work.

Has anyone ever ordered stone from here?
http://www.manzanita-driftwood.com/Aquascaperock.html

While I always prefer to locally source my hardscape material, stones with a lot of character are hard to find and with Winter almost here it will get hard to find anything soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've tried to contact them four times to get there driftwood, out of the four times emailing them I got one reply simply saying "no longer have".

That's all the email said, emailed them three more times but never got a reply. :(

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, not exactly what I was hoping for in terms of customer service :( Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll be interested in how it turns out.

For substrate I'm leaning towards a base(maybe 1") of MGOPS capped with Fluval stratum.

Any thoughts on this layout. I'm planning on a very simple layout, just the stones and two plant types. Marsilea minuta for the bulk of it and probably some micro sword in the background. I was thinking I wanted to put a crypt in each corner to break up the visual disturbance created by the corners, but I'm not sure if that would look right with this spartan style layout.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If I am not mistaken, that is PC1 LOL. He is a busy man. Might got delay replying you.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I added the MGOPS base and laid down a sheet of "plastic canvas" which will keep it from working up through the cap.

So I decided to try and do a layout with the Seiryu stone.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The three on the right I'm envisioning as part of single mounded substrate piece but it seem kind of awkward and busy at the moment.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
just use 3 rocks, get the focal point off center slightly, and definitely cap that soil with sand or something similar. otherwise it will not work.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. It was always going to have a cap, I just haven't figured out what to use yet. I was going to use sand, but I'm pretty sure it won't mound up like I want. So now I'm leaning towards either Eco-complete or Amazonia.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
then base the cap off what you want to keep in the tank. amazonia creates a very nice softwater acidic conditions that most plants love to grow in. so use this if you want to keep animals that like soft acidic water.
use eco-complete if you wish to keep alkaline, basic animals like livebearers and rainbows (Pseudomugil furcatus).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess that settles it then :) as I have some Pseudomugil gertrudae that will end up in here after it's setup and cycled.

My plan so far
marsilea minuta for a carpet in front
micro swords for the backround
and maybe a couple blyxa japonica to break up the corners

fauna will be pretty small because of it being a tiny tank.
Mts
blackworms
thai micro crabs
red rilli shrimp
and 6 or so of the P. gertrudae

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
you could try the microsword for background, but i dont think you'll be very happy with it. imo its better to do the blyxa for your background purposes.

fauna sounds good.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What's the point of doing mineralized topsoil if you have ADA Aquasoil? The Aquasoil will be plenty for anything you should try to grow.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i'm going to assume he will be using the eco complete cap for more basic and alkaline conditions. it does not influence pH. assuming his tap water is alkaline and has a pH of above 7 he's set.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, I have moderately hard well water with a PH of 7.6

i'm going to assume he will be using the eco complete cap for more basic and alkaline conditions. it does not influence pH. assuming his tap water is alkaline and has a pH of above 7 he's set.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Attempted to get a layout that I liked. Need to fix the soil line and smooth things out a bit. The rock that pokes out in front on the right mound was meant to evoke sense or image of a ledge outcropping, but I"m not sure it works

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 20 of 45 Posts