The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've actually had this tank for awhile, full of water and with one filter running. Just got the light a couple weeks ago. A finnex ray2 which I'm pleased with so far.

Substrate; organic potting soil base(about 2") topped with Eco-complete(about 3/4").

Filtration;
currently a Fluval 205 with a sponge prefilter fitted to the intake. I will be adding a second canister(a Fluval 203) once I have fashioned a new intake and outflow for it. Both have had the carbon bags removed and replaced with loose biomedia.

Heat is a Hydor inline on the output of the 205.

Flora;
Keeping it mostly simple I guess. So far;
various Anubias sp, 1 Amazon sword, 2 smaller sword(maybe melon), a bit of willow moss on a coconut shell, a couple small green crypts, and 1 crypt that has Wendtii leaves in it's center with green ones on the outer ring, along with a couple clumps of Bolbitis, as well as one dwarf lily.

I'll be adding a couple things soon; A madagascar lace plant, a few stem of limnophila aromatica, and some red root floaters.

The only thing left I'd like to add if I can find it is some Rotala wallichii.

Fauna; so far just a lone RCS that hitch hiked in with the moss covered coconut shell and a bunch of pond snails. I added a handful of MTS which will hopefully start reproducing soon.

Here's the FTS
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/7218/dscn0016nq.jpg

You'll have to excuse it's state at the moment. I didn't use string to attach the Anubias(too much swearing that last time I did that) so I just wedged some pieces of lava rock to hold them down until they attach. Also there was a shipping delay for some reason and it took 5 days instead of the usual three and a couple of the Anubias definitely look the worse for it. The water is also a little stained from tannins either from the driftwood or potting soil(probably both) I'm hoping repeated water changes will reduce it.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
After about 3x water changes the tannin will be greatly reduced just don't be in a rush on the changes. Let things soak as it settles in. Might want to consider an easy to remove later floater like frog bit for the break in period.

thinking the scape will look great over time but I'm so easy LOL, fan of big wood centers in a tank

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

Yeah I did a WC yesterday and the water is noticeably clearer. Still yellowish, but it's on it's way. I'll be glad when the Anubias starts attaching on it's own. It'll definitely look a lot better when the roots are pointed down and the foliage is oriented correctly :)

The initial stocking will be some fish I want to relocate from other tanks.
3 American flagfish
4 Anomalochromis Thomasi

I also have three dwarf crays(CPO) that I considered putting in this tank. They would look great in it and I would like to tear down the tank they are in, but I was hoping to add 3 or 4 Peacock gudgeons and I'm not sure how they would do with the crays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts