The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is currently no ada distributor in south africa, so i have decided to make a copy of their stand for a 90x45x45cm tank. i am using jason baliban's howto for inspiration...

i am using 18mm ply that i will laminate with storm gray formica.

everything has been glued, screwed and biscuited so it should last forever :p

i have the laminate sheeting, i just need a laminate router bit. i am going to start filling and sanding soon. i am going to paint the inside gray to match, i have a light that will come on when the doors open, so it shouldnt be too dark..

i still need to measure and cut the doors too... i have the hinges and the hinge pot cutter.

what do you think so far?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That looks like it will turn out very well. Just don't forget to add something on the bottom, a pedestal, or leveling feet, for example, to raise the stand a bit so the doors don't drag on the floor. I don't know how ADA does it, so you might check that. Oh, and use the router to rout the "ADA" where you marked it:icon_mrgr A touch of class, you know?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i finished with the body of the stand last night.

i just need to wire up the light fitting inside, and now i need to make the doors and hang them.

all the laminate pieces missing in the above two pics are now glued on and trimmed...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
last pics of the body...

all the laminate on and trimmed:

light fitting, not wired up yet to come on when the door opens:

pic with the light on:

light on, main lights off, looked like a google sketchup rendering, so i couldnt resit adding it here...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@gatekeeper - thanks! i have cut the doors, just need to laminate and paint them. i bought a pot cutter to sink pots into the doors for the hinges, and i have test cut a couple on some scraps to get the fit just right. they wont be 100% flush with the bottom, coz for the time being the stand will be on a tiled floor, but i want to be able to open the doors even if the stand is sitting on a carpet so there will be a few mm clearance between the bottom of the doors and the bottom of the stand.

@xjaypex - i got it here in south africa, there is a company called pg bison here that makes it.

@born2lovefish - thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Have you considered making a "pedestal" from a single sheet of plywood or a frame of similar thickness wood, to put under the tank and avoid any door interferrence with carpeting, etc? I have had problems when I haven't used a pedestal of some kind.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Have you considered making a "pedestal" from a single sheet of plywood or a frame of similar thickness wood, to put under the tank and avoid any door interferrence with carpeting, etc? I have had problems when I haven't used a pedestal of some kind.
Thats where I was going with Hoppy, thank you.

I here what your saying slippers, but what hoppy just eluded too would be the easy fix if you do have carpeting issues (especially if your on a plush carpet).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts