The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering why the dimensions for ADA tanks are not closer to the golden ratio. Only the 60P is close in coming close at 1.666. (golden ratio 1.618)

Also, what do you guys think about a tank at 24x14x14"? or 36x21x21"? I personally would like the added depth for scaping. Although, does that mean I'd need another fixture for added spread?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think you will find 24x14x14 very short, especially after you add substrate. It would be hard to work with I would think. Think of this as a short but wide 60-P (but taller than the 60-F)
I think 36x21x21 will be too wide and too tall for it's length.

Just personal opinion. I would think that ADA sells a variety of tank sizes because people have different budgets (huge price jump to get an x-H tank) and different aquascape ideas in their heads. Amani had all the resources at his disposal, so best to choose the tank for the scape instead of be constrained by the tank size (I can only guess his mentality.)

What matters most is what you like the most. You don't HAVE to go by the golden ratio. I use it as a guideline.
I ordered a 90-P today. 36x18x18. Very similar to a giant 60-P (who's dimensions I love for scaping.)

If you have to pick between the two, I'd go with 24x14x14. Just me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you will find 24x14x14 very short, especially after you add substrate. It would be hard to work with I would think. Think of this as a short but wide 60-P (but taller than the 60-F)
I think 36x21x21 will be too wide and too tall for it's length.

Just personal opinion. I would think that ADA sells a variety of tank sizes because people have different budgets (huge price jump to get an x-H tank) and different aquascape ideas in their heads. Amani had all the resources at his disposal, so best to choose the tank for the scape instead of be constrained by the tank size (I can only guess his mentality.)

What matters most is what you like the most. You don't HAVE to go by the golden ratio. I use it as a guideline.
I ordered a 90-P today. 36x18x18. Very similar to a giant 60-P (who's dimensions I love for scaping.)

If you have to pick between the two, I'd go with 24x14x14. Just me.

ADA's 90P's are 36x18x18". What I meant was what if the dimensions were 36x22x22"? Which is closer to golden ratio.

The 60P is 24x12x14" but why didn't ADA make it 24x14x14"? for added depth? I think the added depth would help a lot in scaping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.