The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
My current stand for 55GL/75GL tank was bought from petsmart and it was kind of waste of money. While i was putting it together, not everything was lining up correctly and board was breaking while i was fastening it together. It has paper laminate which swells anywhere i have water drops. So i decided to build an ADA style stand out of 3/4" plywood. It is my first attempt ever to build something with plywood.
Here is what i have so far..

Update: Getting rid of my 55GL and now it will be for 2 60p tanks side by side.

Tools Used:
Standard 7-1/4" circular saw
Bar Clamps
Kreg Jig tool
Oscillating Tool Kit
Screw gun

Materials Used:
2 PC 3/4" Finished plywood 4'x8'
3 PC 1"x4"x4' Red Oak
4 PC 1"x2"x4' Red Oak
1 PC 1/4"x6" Red Oak
1 PC 1/2"x4"x4' Red Oak
1 EA Wood Glue
1 PK 1-1/4" Kreg Screw
1 PK 1" Kreg Screw
2 PK Pocket-hole Plugs
1 EA Wood Filler
4 EA Edge-band 7/8"x25'

Stand Size:
48"Wx15.75"Dx30.5"H

Here is what it looks like as of today[10/28/14]:

Cut a few pieces to size.

The 4 doors..

Here are the screws i am using to put everything together and also using wood glue on joints.

Sides and back attached.

Here is closer look at the pocket hole screws.

Fixing the center support. It was not cut even.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Added the back, center and front support. Also glued the face plate which you can see in first picture sticking up about an inch. Still need to add extra supports on the sides, just like as in front and back of the stand.

Full view of the back of the stand. I just noticed that i might have put too many screws. lol

Started to fill some holes with the wood filler and plugs. This is how it looks now after the back is completed and all the holes are filled in with plugs. Still need to sand but it can wait until everything is done.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The public library here has a tool-lending library, and I borrowed a Kreg Jig from them a couple years back.

It was pretty awesome, and I ended up buying one of the smaller versions. Those things are really useful.

Anyways, looks good so far, should turn out really nice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The public library here has a tool-lending library, and I borrowed a Kreg Jig from them a couple years back.

It was pretty awesome, and I ended up buying one of the smaller versions. Those things are really useful.

Anyways, looks good so far, should turn out really nice.
I agree, Kreg jig is one of the best tool i purchased and i know i'll be using it a lot. I already have another project in mind after i am done with this stand. It will come in handy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work on the stand. Consider making the pocket holes on the interior of the stand for future builds..

Below is a great product I've used to pre-treat the wood before staining. The details of the wood grain became more prominent with this product.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/preparation/minwax-prestain-wood-conditioner
Thanks. I was surprised myself how it came out.
I did use the wood conditioner. I think i was rushing to finish so i didn't leave the stain on for enough time and it was light. It was bottom so i didn't care. Other than that stain came out really good on the rest.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Very nice work.

As someone who has done an ADA clone, and I think you will agree, I say you can never have too many Irwin clamps. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
More updates.
The stand is almost complete. Only doods need to be stained and attached. Been busy setting up the Two 60P tanks, so didn't have time to finish the doors. Next step will be building the aquarium controller with Arduino or Raspberry pi. Did the wiring already but haven't got to the programming or anything yet.

Most of the wiring done. This is attached like a door that can be opened after the top is attached.

and done minus the doors.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any reason to be concerned about heat in that compartment? For not good reason, I always get concerned about electronics and exposed wires in small, wooden spaces.

Great design though.
Yes, I am planning to add a fan on the door. I have all the high voltage wires soldered and taped with electrical tape. Also used shrink tube where i could. I might put a electrical box in there with the high voltage part inside. It is only relay board. Everything else will be running on 5-12v.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.