The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
as some of you may have seen in another thread, I am currently building a new 300gal planted "nature aquarium" style discus tank. Several tech specs are now already well researched, but now it comes to choosing the right lighting.
After several days of reading reviews and youtube videos, I am down to the following:

1) ADA Solar RGB: probably can't go wrong here, but the light only comes in one small size - I'd probably need 3 or 4 for the tank this size and they only come with an on-off switch; with today's LED technology I'd really like at least the sunrise/sunset effect so that lights come up and go out nicely. But this is not a deal breaker... love the ADA Solar RGB and probably can't go wrong with these?

2) Kessil A360x Tuna Sun: I like the idea of the shimmering effect... not sure if these will be powerful enough and how many I will need to use... but they do have very nice sunrise/sunset effect (plus many other tweaks). Looking at some videos, these seem a bit weaker for the red spectrum - the red plants just don't stand out as much as with some other lights? I worry a bit about a potential glare from these lights when people are seated... there are no shades unlike ADA.

3) ONF Flat One+: Looks like a very nice light... good spectrum, decent pricing, good app. Similar as with Kessil - does not have shades, so I wonder whether the glare might not be a problem when people are seated.

4) Chihiros Vivid 2: a nice set of lights at very good price range. However I really dislike the idea of having active fan coolers - adds to the noise in the room, which I really want to avoid. This one, however, does come with shades so it prevents glaring.

I would love some feedback on these. Any experience greatly appreciated.
Personally, I am kind of between ADA Solar RGB and Kessil A360x but all of these seem to be good options.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just want to point out that the Chihiros WRGB II is like basically the same as the Vivid II w/o the fans. I bought one based on the results of another member and a decent amount of other reviews. I've played around with the app and set up a cycle, but haven't put it on my tank yet as I'm just waiting on a couple more items to come in for my new setup. Uses the same shaders as the Vivid but either way you have to buy them seperately, same with the hangers if you plan on using them vs legs.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The kessils are very powerful, but it's harder to make use of the power because the spread isn't as even as with a panel style.

There is an independent red channel. I like the light most with the spectrum set to its most cool and with the red cranked all the way.

I also use these lights mounted high with the narrow angle reflectors. This solves the glare issue but makes coverage even less even. But, it also gives a great high contrast pop to the light.

I think out of your options, these might be the hardest to do well.

·
Registered
416 Posts
another thought....
reef breeders photon V2+ I will have a set over mt 650l peninsula reef tank and before that one unit over another reef the fan never came on.
they have 6 channels of independent color control and look pretty sleek.
I am not a fan of the kessil shimmer some love it I find it distracting.

for my 1st planted tank 60P I was thinking of Chihiros WRGB II as people seem to have sucess with them and being new to the world of aqua scaping i want to go what proven works.
that said seems like there out of stock at my fav. online dealer so maybe i'll go with the reefbreeders?

do you have a build thread going I would like to stop by and lean and enjoy the progress.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Another option to consider... how about hybrid fixtures? T5HO on the outside with point-source LED (i.e., kessil) mounts in the middle. You get good coverage plus some shimmer. Since you wouldn't be getting all of your light from the kessils, you wouldn't need as many, so it could be cost-neutral relative to a 100% kessil setup. like this:

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Hi guys,
as some of you may have seen in another thread, I am currently building a new 300gal planted "nature aquarium" style discus tank. Several tech specs are now already well researched, but now it comes to choosing the right lighting.
After several days of reading reviews and youtube videos, I am down to the following:

1) ADA Solar RGB: probably can't go wrong here, but the light only comes in one small size - I'd probably need 3 or 4 for the tank this size and they only come with an on-off switch; with today's LED technology I'd really like at least the sunrise/sunset effect so that lights come up and go out nicely. But this is not a deal breaker... love the ADA Solar RGB and probably can't go wrong with these?

2) Kessil A360x Tuna Sun: I like the idea of the shimmering effect... not sure if these will be powerful enough and how many I will need to use... but they do have very nice sunrise/sunset effect (plus many other tweaks). Looking at some videos, these seem a bit weaker for the red spectrum - the red plants just don't stand out as much as with some other lights? I worry a bit about a potential glare from these lights when people are seated... there are no shades unlike ADA.

3) ONF Flat One+: Looks like a very nice light... good spectrum, decent pricing, good app. Similar as with Kessil - does not have shades, so I wonder whether the glare might not be a problem when people are seated.

4) Chihiros Vivid 2: a nice set of lights at very good price range. However I really dislike the idea of having active fan coolers - adds to the noise in the room, which I really want to avoid. This one, however, does come with shades so it prevents glaring.

I would love some feedback on these. Any experience greatly appreciated.
Personally, I am kind of between ADA Solar RGB and Kessil A360x but all of these seem to be good options.
I'm going to go way outside the box on this one
But only globally dimmable w/ the dimmablw driver.
I'd bump this up to the Atlaniks but see they don't list the freshwater model anymore. I'd ask them though.

Cost is no object Radion XR15 freshwaters. 3 at minimum.

Reactions: Immortal1

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
T
I'm going to go way outside the box on this one
But only globally dimmable w/ the dimmablw driver.
I'd bump this up to the Atlaniks but see they don't list the freshwater model anymore. I'd ask them though.

Cost is no object Radion XR15 freshwaters. 3 at minimum.
This orphek critter looks pretty cool, but there is no price listed and the widest optics they list is a 60 degree. How many do you think you would need to light this tank? I admit, I'm curious mostly for my own personal reference. I have not seen this light before.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
T

This orphek critter looks pretty cool, but there is no price listed and the widest optics they list is a 60 degree. How many do you think you would need to light this tank? I admit, I'm curious mostly for my own personal reference. I have not seen this light before.
2 at 1m appox.
A lot of overspill front back and def. need a dimmable driver.
Believe the meanwell might offer simple pot dimming
Awhile ago I saw the pricing and wasn't horrible. Simple 1 channel design.
no colored sunrise/set.
Found it.. $300 then.
The Amazonas can be controlled using the IoT gateway and app used for the Oprhek Atlantik series.
Not sure abot that

THe 4 chasnnel customizable one is very interesting for mega tanks.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
300 per ight is not bad at all! Honestly I kind of like this light for my own self. Having a light 1 meter above the waters surface would eliminate bumping into the thing whenever doing maintenance. I of course don't need the darn thing now ;P but I will definitely keep it in mind going forward.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the various suggestions... but staying within the original selection.
I was really warming up to Kessils, but some folks said their fans are actually quite loud and if I had 4x Kessils the noise would probably not be unnoticeable. That is something that I am desperately trying to avoid.
Any people here having the new Kessils A360x Tuna Sun? Are they really quite noisy?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
From actual experience I could only speak to the ONF Flat One+. I have the standard style (Legs on tank.) The light is extremely well made and finished. I think you would have plenty of light even with the hanging style for anything you'd put in a Discus tank. The light is dead silent and the plus model adds a pretty good bluetooth app.

You can adjust intensity and temp, but not individual colors since it doesn't have separate RGB, but something they call "The wide-area color rendering technology of ColorFull LED" The light has a good diffuser so it doesn't appear to give off a lot of glare when looking up at it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From actual experience I could only speak to the ONF Flat One+. I have the standard style (Legs on tank.) The light is extremely well made and finished. I think you would have plenty of light even with the hanging style for anything you'd put in a Discus tank. The light is dead silent and the plus model adds a pretty good bluetooth app.

You can adjust intensity and temp, but not individual colors since it doesn't have separate RGB, but something they call "The wide-area color rendering technology of ColorFull LED" The light has a good diffuser so it doesn't appear to give off a lot of glare when looking up at it.
ONF Flat One+ is certainly among top options I was considering... the only issue is size. I think the previous model they also had a 120cm model, but now 90cm is their maximum. I don't know if they intend to make a 120cm again.
For 240cm length, I would ideally have 2x 120cm models... now - I wonder what is best to do; would 2x 90cm be enough?

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
...my wife dismissed the idea of shimmering... she says it looks cute for a while, but having that always "on" would drive her crazy. She likes the peaceful nature of aquariums and the elegance of discus fish in there.

Upon much further reading reviews, viewing youtubes, and making inquiries with manufacturers, I am reassessing my "priority list" to:

(a) ONF Flat One+:
PROS: nicest design, good programmability, good colour rendering.
CONS: not sure about the sizing... only available in 60cm or 90cm models. ONF said we should use 3-4 units. 3 units would look nice... spread across the tank, it would leave approx 20cm space between the units and probably nice light distribution. But the question is, will 3 units will really be enough??? Can anyone help me calculate that?
Alternatively we could do 2x90cm in front and 1x60cm at the back, maybe slightly elevated so that it is not all flat... Not sure how that would look like aesthetically... just thinking.

(b) GHL Mitras LX 7004:
PROS: good integration with the rest of GHL automation & Profilux system. Seem like very high quality lights. Good programmability.
CONS: very "industrial" design. Not ugly in any way... just industrial. Not sure yet whether I'm warming up to such concept...

@EdWiser, glad to know you have these lights. Your tank looks absolutely stunning! Could you please share your experience with the lights? Any pros and cons so far? Also, since my wife said she would not like shimmering - do these produce much shimmering? (GHLs are still more condensed lights than a diffused panel like ONF Flat One...) How about the reflection of the individual LEDs on the surface? ...Are you also integrating these with the rest of GHL automation?
What size is your tank? ...you are using 2 units and it seems plenty. I was thinking probably for my size I would need 3 units, but that should probably be enough? ...but when I read the instruction manual, it says one 7004 unit is recommended for up to 240 liters - my tank is 1100 liters, so according to them, I'd need 4 units!?
...sorry to bombard you with questions, but your insight here is really helpful! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Further thinking about the two models... can I have your honest opinion whether these light spectrums mean anything? As far as I undestand both of these lights are fully programmable and one can change profile of more red / more green / more blue as much as one wants? However, still... here is what I found as the default spectrum at 100% intensity:

ONF Flat One+:

GHL Mitras LX 7004:

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Further thinking about the two models... can I have your honest opinion whether these light spectrums mean anything? As far as I undestand both of these lights are fully programmable and one can change profile of more red / more green / more blue as much as one wants? However, still... here is what I found as the default spectrum at 100% intensity:

ONF Flat One+:
View attachment 1026964

GHL Mitras LX 7004:
View attachment 1026965
Mitras is much more balanced in output .Will get a bit more in depth in a minute
Flat one is err "punchy" in color at the expense of subtilty. Color cast is "pinkish".
* MIXING LIST
----------------------------------------
myData ONFlat.txt [120°] x1

* SIMULATION DATA
Luminous flux : 4,500 lm
Radiant flux : 18,026 mW
PPF : 84.3 umol/s
TCP : 7810 K
CRI : 86
λp : 637 nm
Color : #FF9BC9
dimming the Royal blue channel is about all you would need to go from high K to low.

OK number crunching..
First listed specs:
  • [*]1000 K – 18000 K adjustment range of color temperature
    [*]6800 K center color temperature
    [*]9 seperately dimmable colors, LEDs within each cluster:
    2 x Cree XPG3 Sky White, 2 x Cree XPG3 Warm White, 2 x Cree XPG3 Cool White, 1 x Cree XP-E2 Blue, 1 x XT-E Royal Blue, 1 x Osram Oslon SSL True Green, 1 x Osram Oslon SSL Yellow, 1 x Osram Oslon SSL Red, 1 x Osram Oslon SSL Hyperred
    [*]

Next estimated specs..
MIXING LIST
myData GHLMitras.txt [100°] x1

* SIMULATION DATA
Luminous flux : 8,500 lm
Radiant flux : 32,743 mW
PPF : 145 umol/s
TCP : 10990 K
CRI : 74
λp : 453 nm
Color : #D9AEFF

* PERFORMANCE @ 30cm
Irradiance : 81.5 W/m²/s
Illuminance : 21,166 lx
PPFD : 363 umol/m²/s
Tone is "purple-ish.
Both are spectrum adjustable of course.

You can use the hex numbers for an idea of starting tone.
Search like
Color : #D9AEFF

Ignore the power numbers.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Mitras is much more balanced in output .Will get a bit more in depth in a minute
Flat one is err "punchy" in color at the expense of subtilty. Color cast is "pinkish".
It's punchy at the expense of subtilty, really? Have you ever used this light or even seen it in person? There is no pinkish cast to it. At what setting?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
It's punchy at the expense of subtilty, really? Have you ever used this light or even seen it in person? There is no pinkish cast to it. At what setting?
I build them..
current array is deep red, cyan,pcamber, lime, and royal blue .. All controllable so a sort of ...................yes
Spectrum tells the story but if you need another opinion....

In the Chihiros Vivid series for instance, the particular spectrum / wavelengths used strongly enhance (deep) reds and greens.Visually (and in actual pigment development), red plants get and look redder, and likewise for the greens.
So for example the leaves of the humble Anubias 'nana' takes on a lush/ deep green tone that we do not get under T5...or most other LEDs. This is linked to the fact that in the Vivids you can tune the R, G, B individually and dynamically (vs a fixed ratio in most other LEDs).

This aspect comes at a certain cost- the loss of gradations in tonal hues.

So in some ways, the extremes get more extreme (redder, deeper / richer greens) but we lose the intermediate oranges, pinks, purples....
(compared to T5s)
All RGB's are a type with very similar spectrum.,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I build them..
current array is red, cyan,pcamber, lime, and royal blue .. All controllable so a sort of ...................yes
Wow, that was an impressive reply above with all the tech details, thanks @jeffkrol! :)

So, in layman's terms, the Mitras would show more natural, less "tweaked" tones.
However, would you expect the red plants to still show nice reds or - I assume also likely more natural and toned down?
Not a big deal though... in my scape I intend to use mainly green and some individual reds here and there just for fun. They are not going to have the main role.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.