The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have setup new 15 gallon planted tank with ADA power sand basic, ada bacter 4, clear super and tourmaline BC and with ADA Amazonia 2 soil. It's planted as much as possible with fully grown pot plants and I have been changing daily 50% water change. I am using hang on back filter with coarse sponge, ceramic rings, clay balls, some activated carbon, and fine floss at the outlet. However after 4 days or so, I am still seeing Ammonia levels 8+ on API kit. Is this normal? And if yes, how long before it stops dropping below 8. I will try and attach photos as well. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Amazonia 2 is notorious for it's spike. Directions for set up include week 1- 50% change daily, week 2 50% change every other day, week 3 50% change every 3 days- you get my point- it takes about 6 weeks to cycle clean. This is from 2nd hand info as I have not used amazonia 2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amazonia 2 is notorious for it's spike. Directions for set up include week 1- 50% change daily, week 2 50% change every other day, week 3 50% change every 3 days- you get my point- it takes about 6 weeks to cycle clean. This is from 2nd hand info as I have not used amazonia 2.
Hey thanks for this. Yes I read similar information too but what I wondered if Ammonia reading 8 is expected. I thought it might be like 4 at the beginning but that's probably not like it

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yea, that's the part that I'm not sure about, I know amazonia (not 2) has caused a spike around 5-6 ppm for me and I've heard 2 has more of an ammonia spike so maybe it's normal (?) I'm hoping someone with more experience in that particular version will know more and chime in. But a spike using aquasoils in general is totally normal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would agree with Plinkploop & ElleDee...

I wouldn't even bother to check water until 2 weeks when I am cycling.. I had 6 bags of Amazonia 2 + 2 more bags of different volcanic soil + nutrient pellets...= close to ~72lbs.. I didn't even test my water for 2 weeks. my primary focus was to establish the bacteria column as i continued to add Seachem Stability regularly in a completely new setup.

For me... 3rd week, my ppm was 2, and by 4th week I had 1 PPM.... it dropped to zero only by 6th week.

you need to be worried if the ammonia reading doesn't go down aft 2-3 weeks...
You need to make sure you have enough media for filtration and bacteria growth to support your tank..

FYI - I am not an expert.. but sharing my experience as I started cycling my tank from 1st week of Feb-2021.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ravs

That makes sense. Will keep doing daily water change and adding Seachem Stability is good suggestion. Although I did add ADA Bacter, Clear Super and Tourmaline BC under substrate in powdered form. Since I am having smaller tank (15 gallon) I am using Hang on back filter which is currently housing around 50 ceramic rings, 20 odd clay balls, coarse sponge and fine filter floss and little bit of activated carbon too. I also spread out lot of clay balls on top of ADA power sand and then added Amazonia 2 soil to get more surface area (photo attached). Hope this is sufficient for my tank.
Although I always wondered just placing mesh bag of additional ceramic rings in corner of aquarium will host any beneficial bacteria?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.