The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Intro

So I have been learning to grow plants in a glass box full of water for a while now and I felt like it was time to start learning how to scape. This tank is my first real foray into scaping and I hope it will be the test bed for many ideas to come. First the tech....

Tech

Tank: ADA Mini S
Light: Archaea 27w
Filter: Ecco 2232
Lily Pipes: Cal Aqua nano
CO2: Paintball w/ Archaea regulator
Drop Checker: Cal Aqau Clip
Diffuser: Do Aqua 10d

Since the tank sits on my work desk at home I modified the clip light to hang from an overhang on the desk. I took off the clip arm and used some steel wire and connectors to hang the light over the tank. The rest of the setup is pretty ordinary really, used a base of AS normal and then capped with AS powder as I like the smaller grains.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scape

So the idea for this scape was, naturally, to try to create depth and space in a small tank. I would have liked to use the thick piece of wood in the front but unfortunately it wouldn't cooperate so I had to use the thinner wood in front and the thicker wood in the back. Overall I wanted the idea to be that the small amount of negative space was a quasi focal point as the rest of the tank has lines that draw the eye there. I used HC for a carpet, Hydrocotyle tripartita to establish a midground, Rotala rotundifolia for the start of the background and Rotala sp "Green" for the background. I am hoping the lighter color of the rotundifolia will make the smaller, darker "Green" leaves seem further away. I am also hoping the yamaya stone will help to define another visual line to the back of the tank. I have a lot of hopes but honestly as this is my first real effort at a scape I am planning to fail miserably and learn a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
So the idea for this scape was, naturally, to try to create depth and space in a small tank. I would have liked to use the thick piece of wood in the front but unfortunately it wouldn't cooperate so I had to use the thinner wood in front and the thicker wood in the back. Overall I wanted the idea to be that the small amount of negative space was a quasi focal point as the rest of the tank has lines that draw the eye there. I used HC for a carpet, Hydrocotyle tripartita to establish a midground, Rotala rotundifolia for the start of the background and Rotala sp "Green" for the background. I am hoping the lighter color of the rotundifolia will make the smaller, darker "Green" leaves seem further away. I am also hoping the yamaya stone will help to define another visual line to the back of the tank. I have a lot of hopes but honestly as this is my first real effort at a scape I am planning to fail miserably and learn a lot.
Great start dude!

But you need to add more driftwoods in angle and rearrange the rocks, it will give more balanced and natural look. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.