The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was browsing my local craigslist one day. I could not believe my luck when I found someone giving away their ADA MINI S. After arranging a pick up time, I drove over to TPT member youknowho's place. He's an awesome dude and let me have it on one condition. That when I am done with the tank, stones, and mat that I give them away for free, or suffer retribution of Amano's Curse. Here is the previous owners Tank Journal. I cleaned the tank up a bit with some white vinegar and looks brand new!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Subscribed due to reddit, and the chance that I may see this tank look gorgeous!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! Add the Amano-style thin layer of sand, and GTG

(BTW, bad link on the prior tank journal)
Thanks fixed the bad link.

Once I find a good stand, and finish building my Linde REDLINE regulator, I want to do a scottish highland aquascape with rocks and Eleocharis Belem on high slopes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problems finding the right aquarium stand

I have searched every thrift shop and furniture store in my area and online; I can't find the right stand for this wonderful tank. I have some specific needs to meet. The stand must be 36"H and at least 12"W x 12"D. I'm going to be storing a CO2 cylinder inside so the interior height requirement must be at least 20"

Strongly considering building a stand myself. Upcoming Thanksgiving weekend project maybe?

:help:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll check out Lowe's again, but I think I know the one your talking about. The only problem with it was it did not have enough internal height space for my CO2 cylinder. It's the biggest problem, finding a stand with the right height and internal storage space to fit the CO2 and canister filter. I kind of like the idea of building a custom stand, and it would be fun.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Chris, you are so lucky! Who goes on CL to find a free ADA tank? Lol. Well can't wait to see the outcome! Looks like this tank will be passed on throughout San Diego when everyone is tired of it. Keeping it local :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the lack of updates, life has been busy. I have officially given up looking for a prebuilt stand for the Mini S. However, I am working with Google SketchUp to design my own stand. I'll post some pictures of the design when I am finished. To give you an idea of what I am building. I'm going to use 3/4" plywood and pocket screw joinery. I like the simple design of ADA tanks so I am basing my build around their aesthetics. The stand will 36" high and as for the width and depth, I am still choosing between W17 3/4" D10" or W12 1/4" D7" so the tank sits flush with the stand. I am a bit worried that the flush stand will be too narrow and top heavy, but I have seen other high and narrow stands that are fine. As long as the downward force of the tank wight is greater than the force required to tip I should be fine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SketchUp of the stand

H36" X W17" X D10"

My stand idea made using SketchUp. There will be three cutouts to allow for power cords, filter, and CO2 tubes. The dimensions will give me plenty of room to house a 5lb CO2 cylinder and Sunsun HW-603B canister filter. I may add some adjustable shelving that could support the CO2 cylinder and elevate the canister filter if needed. I'm thinking of having the door swing open to the right.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Those dimensions look good! A little taller than the stand I was using, but you won't have to lean over as much to look in from the front and you'll have extra storage space underneath. Personally I'd prefer to have two holes on the back panel, none on the side, and run everything through the back using longer tubing if necessary. It's a much cleaner look in my opinion, more of a head-turner :).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think 36" is the perfect height. My 20 gallon sits on a 36" bookshelf and the viewing angle is perfect and I can still easily reach in with my arm for tank maintenance. I was considering drilling some large tubing holes in the top of the stand, instead of in the sides, for the pipes. Those holes on the sides would make it easy to move the stand around too. Once construction is underway I'll make my choice. I am definitely going for that clean minimalist look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts