The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to go with getting a Mini-M for my dorm after being out of the loop with tanks for a while. I figured this would be the best size, but convince me other wise(this is why I'm posting this!:))
I plan on making it a hilly iwagumi styled tank since I like the simplicity, but not sure where I should get rocks, nor what type.

Hardware wise, this is what I'm shooting for.
Tank:ADA Mini-M
Filter: Eheim 2213 with Cal Aqua X1 nano set
Light: Hampton desk lamp 27 watts(my current desk lamp)
CO2: ADA advanced set up(already got this)
Substrate: ADA Amazonia I
Fertilizers: ADA or Pfertz

I was thinking of just having HC as the foreground and maybe hairgrass in the background. I'm not sure what I wanna do fauna-wise, but I was thinking of just starting with a few amano shrimp and ottos.

As for the substrate, how many liters do I need? Should I get the powder size instead or any other additives?
What about fertilizers? Should I just stick with ADA for simplicity, and if I do, which ones should I get?
And if anyone has anything for sale, I'd be interested, thanks!
Thanks for looking! I wanna get this started up asap so i can post pics.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Substrates...I might be wrong but, I think maybe 2 3L bags should do fine for a Mini M. If you want a hill shape, you should get Amazonia Normal for the substrate.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hey, I'm looking forward to seeing this tank in progress!
The HC idea is nice. Substrate wise, 3 liters would be enough. I have 3 liters in my Do!Aqua mini-m (practically the same size). for ferts, I would do dry dosing using EI. It's a lot cheaper in the long run. One set of 1lb bags would last you 1+ years, so it's worth it. I actually bought a set of 4 lbs total for 30.73. It's worth it. Good luck with the tank!

John

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll try 2 bags since I'm gonna try for a more hilly scape.
And I would do dry ferts(I have some at home), but being in a dorm doesn't make it really practical. That's why I wanted to stick with the ada steps, so I can just stick to 2 or 3 bottles. Thanks for the suggestions though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts