The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Tom's rapid mini cannister, and I broke it. Are there any other options out there?

I am injecting DIY Co2 into it and it worked well untill the mishap.

What do you have on your Nano (~7g) with co2 on it?
I have a 5.5 gallon CRS tank that's overfiltered with a Zoomed 501 and a sponge filter and another 8 gallon with a Aquaclear 20. The Aquaclear works well but sometimes the current is a problem when it comes to uprooting new plants.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 5.5 gallon CRS tank that's overfiltered with a Zoomed 501 and a sponge filter and another 8 gallon with a Aquaclear 20. The Aquaclear works well but sometimes the current is a problem when it comes to uprooting new plants.
How do you like your zoomed, its a cannister right? From the looks of them they are preacically the same thing as the tom's.

Do you use co2?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like the zoomed. It's quiet most of the time and has good flow. Like the Toms, it has to sit at the same level as the tank. I don't use CO2 in that tank, but it should do fine. I use pressurized CO2 in the 8 gallon with the Aquaclear.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the zoomed. It's quiet most of the time and has good flow. Like the Toms, it has to sit at the same level as the tank. I don't use CO2 in that tank, but it should do fine. I use pressurized CO2 in the 8 gallon with the Aquaclear.
Yeah, if I had pressurized I wouldnt care about the gas off with a HOB, id just crank it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm using an eheim 2232. It's overkill so I keep the outlet valve cranked down a little bit, but its great. The 2211 is probably ideal if you can find it, but I couldn't in the amount of time I was willing to look.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you do filter it, I'd go with the zoo med 501. An eheim would be bigger than the tank itself. A zoo med 501 IMO is perfect for any size nano up to 10 gal. I'm actually using a zoo med temporarily on my 28 right now.

OR you could just get a tiny pump or tiny internal filter and use that to diffuse your co2. You aren't filtering much except fish waste in the filter anyway.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does the zoomed filter need filter bags for the carbon? I once put straight carbon in my tom filter and that was bad... However it's hard to fit a good amount of carbon in the chamber because of the way the intake is.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does the zoomed filter need filter bags for the carbon? I once put straight carbon in my tom filter and that was bad... However it's hard to fit a good amount of carbon in the chamber because of the way the intake is.
Dont use carbon get seachems Purigen, much better, lasts longer and will not remove nutrients that our plants need to thrive. And for goodness sake dont ever put any carbon/purigen in your filter w/o a bag.:icon_roll

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yea I never used a canister before, always just sandwiched carbon between sponges in my aqua clear filters.

I think I have some purigen lying around, will do.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm partial to the ZooMed because I have one and I like the tubing. But I've always wanted to try the toms canister as well to compare the two side by side. IMO either will be fine.
I have a toms right now, and it does an adequite job for the money. I just broke it after I did some cleaning and modification and am just looking for some oppinions.

Yea I never used a canister before, always just sandwiched carbon between sponges in my aqua clear filters.

I think I have some purigen lying around, will do.
okay.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts