The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of some reputable/quality names?

I'm specifically looking for a set of 17mm lily pipes and a C02 diffuser/bubble counter.

I'm aware of Rhinox but I'm wondering if there's others out there!

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
I wouldn't put put cal aqua in the knock off category. Their stuff is really nice.

There are a few Asian manufactures that make cheapish Lilly pipes. Search "Lilly pipes" on [Ebay Link Removed]
True, I just mentioned it since they're really nice. Any ADA Knockoff wouldn't really be a knockoff since ADA has supreme quality so any knockoffs would still be of very high quality

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True, I just mentioned it since they're really nice. Any ADA Knockoff wouldn't really be a knockoff since ADA has supreme quality so any knockoffs would still be of very high quality
Haha maybe I phrased my question wrong then...

Are there any ADA knock offs I should steer clear from?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking around on Ebay and I'm seeing the name Rhinox come up alot and their products are *extremely* cheap...and tempting.

That and any others you may know about.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Are you talking about cheaply made copies of ADA stuff like the HK sellers on eBay or are you talking about comparable or even better products than ADA just a different brand?

If it the first I will be the first to say don't waste your money. Those cheaply made products are not worth the headache IMO. But if it's the only way you can go then just make sure you buy 2-3 of whatever you are wanting because they will break, even if you are more careful than have ever been.

If what you are wanting is the latter of the two then I will wholeheartedly recommend CalAqua products. They use a very high quality borosilicate glass which is on par with pyrex (some of their tubes actually come from them) and IMO their products are as good if not better than ADA but do not cost quite the premium price. I have multiple drop checkers from them and an inline co2 diffuser and just the feel of the product actually gives you a sense that it is very durable and a high quality piece of equipment.

Here is their site. I would check it out and read their "why CAL" section because it really details why they are a first rate company.

http://www.calaqualabs.com/index.html

I also own a few DoAqua! products and have to say that they are pretty darn good all in all. The only reason I purchased the DoAqua music counter (inline glass bubble counter) is because at the time I was in desperate need for a BC, the music counter had just came out and Cal was out of their BC. I actually am on my second one too. Even quality glass breaks.

I have also had multiple products from HK and will never own them again, for a few reasons. First they are cheaply made and NOT a quality piece of equipment. I felt that if I even just looked at the piece wrong it could break! IMO, purchasing cheaper (insert anything that pertains to our hobby) will always end up costing you more in the long run. Whether that be actual tangible currency or be it the time and energy you have to spend when that piece fails and we have to clean up the mess/rigg it to where it even functions/etc. Lastly they just do not have the same aesthetic appeal that Cal/ADA/and to some extent DoAqua! posses. In our hobby what were dong really boils down to creating something our/others eyes like to focus on. If you have even the most beautiful layout and hardscape implementing a shoddy piece of glass to direct water flow in/out of your tank will ruin the whole bag of chips!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you talking about cheaply made copies of ADA stuff like the HK sellers on eBay or are you talking about comparable or even better products than ADA just a different brand?

If it the first I will be the first to say don't waste your money. Those cheaply made products are not worth the headache IMO. But if it's the only way you can go then just make sure you buy 2-3 of whatever you are wanting because they will break, even if you are more careful than have ever been.

If what you are wanting is the latter of the two then I will wholeheartedly recommend CalAqua products. They use a very high quality borosilicate glass which is on par with pyrex (some of their tubes actually come from them) and IMO their products are as good if not better than ADA but do not cost quite the premium price. I have multiple drop checkers from them and an inline co2 diffuser and just the feel of the product actually gives you a sense that it is very durable and a high quality piece of equipment.

Here is their site. I would check it out and read their "why CAL" section because it really details why they are a first rate company.

http://www.calaqualabs.com/index.html

I also own a few DoAqua! products and have to say that they are pretty darn good all in all. The only reason I purchased the DoAqua music counter (inline glass bubble counter) is because at the time I was in desperate need for a BC, the music counter had just came out and Cal was out of their BC. I actually am on my second one too. Even quality glass breaks.

I have also had multiple products from HK and will never own them again, for a few reasons. First they are cheaply made and NOT a quality piece of equipment. I felt that if I even just looked at the piece wrong it could break! IMO, purchasing cheaper (insert anything that pertains to our hobby) will always end up costing you more in the long run. Whether that be actual tangible currency or be it the time and energy you have to spend when that piece fails and we have to clean up the mess/rigg it to where it even functions/etc. Lastly they just do not have the same aesthetic appeal that Cal/ADA/and to some extent DoAqua! posses. In our hobby what were dong really boils down to creating something our/others eyes like to focus on. If you have even the most beautiful layout and hardscape implementing a shoddy piece of glass to direct water flow in/out of your tank will ruin the whole bag of chips!

Heh, I was afraid that was the case. I have been eyeing Shrimp Lab's stuff and since I'm getting a shipment from them soonish I may msg nikki and see if I can't piggyback another order :D

That and wow...that CalAqua site's really well done...makes me think of a bottled water commercial lolol.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Heh, I was afraid that was the case. I have been eyeing Shrimp Lab's stuff and since I'm getting a shipment from them soonish I may msg nikki and see if I can't piggyback another order :D

That and wow...that CalAqua site's really well done...makes me think of a bottled water commercial lolol.
Are you thinking of getting glass ware form Nikki and what are you wanting to get (lily pipes/diffuser/drop checker/etc)?

And whenever you're done setting up, ready for livestock, be sure to order your food from bsmith
Your the man, I really appreciate it! :proud:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.