The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just noticed that every tank on the site is listed with high clarity in the title. These aren't low iron glass though, right? It seems the prices have remained that same as they were before the "high clarity" part was added. And I doubt they're trying to give us more tank for the same dollar..

Didn't they call their low iron/starphire tanks "CLEAR" previously?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think those are low iron glass. They look a lot different with the glass they use for Do!aqua tanks, which is probably normal glass.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
The tanks do have thicker and clearer glass now, but the glass is soft and will scratch easily. They are also made in China or Japan now, instead of Germany.

D

·
0 Posts
The tanks do have thicker and clearer glass now, but the glass is soft and will scratch easily. They are also made in China or Japan now, instead of Germany.
Damn that cant be good. Go from a place where they always seem to make quality products (Germany) to a place you usually always see knock offs from..

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed on Aqua Forest's site they still have a CLEAR tank (120-H CLEAR) and it specifically states "High clarity low iron glass" and carries a $2,600 price tag.
A 120-P High Clarity states it's "high clarity glass and highly durable silicon" no mention of the iron content. It's also a more reasonable $599.

Also a little weird is the taller H tank has 10mm thick glass while the smaller P tank has 12mm glass. I don't think we're meant to understand ADA's ways..

Anyways, I'm looking for a nice (preferrably rimless) tank in the 48 by 18-24 inch footprint. Taller is better, especially since I picked up a beast of a light on a great deal. I got a 48" Tek 6x54w fixture that's ready to torch some plants. At least with that light level I can raise the fixture to make the top of the tank less cluttered and hopefully increase the viewable area. I'm also trying to find someone here with the Oceanic Tech tanks. I could live with a sleeker rim if it also means starphire glass and a nice overflow!

·
Registered
674 Posts
From what i understand, all of the newer ADA tanks are high clarity, and the regular ADA clarity has been replaced by Do Aqua.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Damn that cant be good. Go from a place where they always seem to make quality products (Germany) to a place you usually always see knock offs from..
So, which tanks ARE made in Germany? And exactly what is the basis for assuming that Germany "always seem to make quality products"???

And why is it bad if the tanks come from Japan or China? Eheim moved production of their classic series filters to China years ago, and no one has complained about a sudden decline in quality.

The annual Consumer Reports auto survey shows Mercedes as one of the cars with the highest incidence of problems, while Hondas and Toyotas are the lowest. There appears to be no vehicle built in Germany with a low frequency of repairs to match any Honda product, or for that matter, a Toyota pickup truck.

If Japan can produce a higher quality car, they can make a glass aquarium tank. Regarding China, why do you think the very best dinner plates are called "China" in the first place?

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
why do you think the very best dinner plates are called "China" in the first place?
Well, I believe that is a "left over" term from the old days when exportation out of China opened up to the west. The export porcelain became known as "China". It was considered a status symbol, and the term has stuck. Bet if you flipped over a couple of plates and bowls you'll see that your "China" was made in Japan, or even parts of Eastern Europe or Scandinavia now! :icon_wink

Without turning this into a political or economic debate, taking into consideration the past and current problems with imported products (toothpastes, pet foods, and now sheetrock/wallboard) I do believe there is some reason to be skeptical, cautious, if not wary of products manufactured and imported from some places at this time.

All in all, I guess it is just up to the individual consumer! Buy whatever from whomever you like! The only person who needs to be satisfied with your purchase is you! :proud:

All of that being said, I believe that a lot of ADAs manufacturing is slowly being exported from Japan to China. The Do! Aqua line looks like it is coming out of China, and if I recall correctly a lot of the ADA tools have shifted from German manufacture to China too. I have some of the older German manufacture tools and some of the newer Chinese manufacture tools and can see little to no difference in quality of materials or workmanship.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
And exactly what is the basis for assuming that Germany "always seem to make quality products"???
Wow, no offense, but have you been living in a hole? :hihi:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Germany makes the best everything," or for that matter, that "China doesn't make anything good." But you are the first person I've ever come across that at least didn't acknowledge that Germany is known for making top quality products.

Maybe it's because I'm an audio engineer, and as other professional engineers know, there are no better microphones and vacuum tube preamps than the German ones. Or maybe it's because I've been an owner of an air-cooled VW. I don't know. But I guess I always took it for granted that everyone knew that they take pride in their craftsmanship over there in Germany?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm a factory trained BMW technician, so I'm pretty familiar with the insides of a lot of German machinery. I acknowledge that German products have a reputation for being high quality, but I don't feel that it is always deserved. I've owned THREE air-cooled VW's, two air-cooled BMW's, a DKW, a Penton, and a Fendt shaft-drive bicycle. Quality was "good" but not exceptional.

I abandoned VW for Toyota and have never regretted it. I still own the same Toyota 22R pickup 20 years later.

I got off my BMW 750 and onto a 1991 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster, and see the HD as being of superior quality in almost every respect. Those parts which are made in Asia, such as the carburetor and suspension components make the Sportster a better machine than earlier models which used exclusively American components.

So, THIS BMW technician sees no reason to poo-poo products from Asia for any reason.

If ADA sees fit to produce tanks in Japan or China, then I have absolutely no problem with that decision.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The annual Consumer Reports auto survey shows Mercedes as one of the cars with the highest incidence of problems, while Hondas and Toyotas are the lowest. There appears to be no vehicle built in Germany with a low frequency of repairs to match any Honda product, or for that matter, a Toyota pickup truck.

If Japan can produce a higher quality car, they can make a glass aquarium tank. Regarding China, why do you think the very best dinner plates are called "China" in the first place?
Honda's and Toyota's are built in the USA.......just saying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts