The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody!

*Update:Most Recent Tank Status*

Background: I'm building a mini-M for my sister as a wedding gift. She's actually out of town until Saturday so this will be a surprise tank. She mentioned she loves freshwater dwarf puffers so here we go!

I do need the expert advice/critiques from this community so please any suggestions please it'll be much appreciated.

Photo's

Fun part!

Scape #1: May disappear soon...

Scape #2: Edited out. Not enough love.

Scape#3: Edit out.

I'm starting to like the right side of scape 3. But something is missing. Perhaps more rocks...

Regards,
Randy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Scape#4: Edited out.

Scape #5: brought the left rock to the center.

The sand will not go into the tank. I just hate how AquaSoil crumbles so I use sand during this planning stage to aid me in my endless search for pleasing aesthetics.

Regards,
Randy

·
Registered
559 Posts
i like the 5th one the most.
the first is a close second, but in my opinion, the rock on the far right should follow in a similar direction as the other rocks. if you want something to try to offset that direction, you can try manzanita branches.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments keep them coming!

oocfish I hope she likes it. Deep down I think its an excuse for me to start another tank. :icon_roll

amphirion nice suggestions. I may not add manzanita however because I think I am going broke!

trigun808 I agree I think I am leaning more towards a natural layout.

More!

Scape # 6: Close enough to #5 but with some rotating and flipping.

Scape #7: I flipped the main center rock and discovered this angle.

I think I have ONE more layout in mind and that's it! I'll be making a decision soon.

Regards,
Randy

·
Registered
801 Posts
This probably won't help since you are leaning towards other options, but I like #1. The rocks sticking up and out creates height; you wouldn't necessarily need tall plants then. Either way, great gift idea and keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trigun808 I must have stared at that big rock for a good 30min straight twisting and flipping and rotating before I bought it.

Hyphination I will be using mini dwarf hairgrass sp. 'Japanese' as a foreground. I would love UG but can't find it locally yet. I think the lower rocks may be fine, I can always prop it up higher. Scape#7 I feel like i need something on the right as a counter-balance to that boulder-like piece.

dxiong5 I'll be sure to keep you all posted-so long as people are viewing! But thanks. And the funny thing is, Scape#1 took the least amount of time to throw together (maybe 5 seconds tops). Matter fact it was just something I did so I could take a picture and start a thread here. And it's getting some votes over some I spilled 30 minutes planning and piecing together!

itzjustjeff your member name should really be HeyEveryoneItzJeff! :icon_lol:. Those near the end took some real effort and 'rock whispering' to crank out! Glad you like them, too!

CL thanks. I don't know if this is a gift for her or for me. I am having so much fun building it.

I may go ahead and delete some pictures in this thread that are not receiving any love.

Regards,
Randy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TsuRyuu maybe on your birthday I'll buy some rocks and build you a scape and ship it to you ("Is he serious or joking?! :red_mouth). I thought about using HC to cycle the tank. I'm a HC growing maniac! My 20 gallon long tank is overflowing with it. That's the thing- I want this tank to be easy low maintenance. Once HC takes off it could really just take over the tank bottom covering the dwarf HG and rocks.

Regards,
Randy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
*Update* I needed to add more rocks (funny story actually) and this is the layout I chose in order to make it work. Thanks for all the help guys.

Dwarf Puffer. I hope its a girl.

Curious gal.

I never thought I would use HC as a background plant. Foreground I would like to use something low growing possibly UG or mini dwarf HG sp. 'Japan'.

Thanks for looking comments welcomed. :icon_smil
Randy

·
Registered
258 Posts
Randy, I don't know if you've noticed this, but your rock layout is almost identical to my 60p on SFBAAPS haha. BTW, have you had any difficulties seeing posts lately? I haven't seen a single new post in about a week. My suggestion would be a HC foreground with a staurogyne sp. background (mine is a glosso foreground with staurogyne sp background). Check out this scape.
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquatic-plants/543-new-plant-hobby-staurogyne-sp.html
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/610-30cm-little-mountain.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another familiar name! Its funny I am just looking through your threads here. I see the ''Martin 60-P" thread's tank and you are right it is somewhat similar.

SFBAAPS has been down this week I'm hoping it gets resolved soon. You can't even PM another member without some notice popping up.

I have plenty of HC in my 20 gallons and frankly I want to just try something new for a foreground. Rich Y. may have a few pinches of HG 'belem' for me.

The staurogyne looks cool I don't mind trying different flora out. Does AFA sell it?

Randy

·
Registered
258 Posts
AFA sells it for about 3 stems for $10. Since you're in the city, I wouldn't mind sparing you a few free stems. I also have a few sprigs of belem I could let you have since I'm planning on doing a major trim of my mini-L in the near future.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like the hard scape and I love the dwarf puffer. He/she is very cute. I also like how you use sand to scape and play with. I agree that AS is not good for playing around with.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts