The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an Ada co2 system. It worked great the first time and easy to set up but now it runs out so fast within two weeks or less!
I feel like there’s a leak somewhere.
When I finally felt it I tighten it up but it has a hard time starting and it blows one of my tubes off. So now i have a hard time to get it started...basically over an hour and I give up.
Do I just bought a defective system? It’s only been 6 months or less. And I haven’t used it that much as it just doesn’t seem to work! Basically might just buy a fluval co2 system as I wasted hundreds of dollars on refills just to have them wasted in two weeks or not start and I hear a “leak sound”
I run it only when I have my light on and it’s only 5 hours a day!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hello, I have an Ada co2 system. It worked great the first time and easy to set up but now it runs out so fast within two weeks or less!
I feel like there’s a leak somewhere.
When I finally felt it I tighten it up but it has a hard time starting and it blows one of my tubes off. So now i have a hard time to get it started...basically over an hour and I give up.
Do I just bought a defective system? It’s only been 6 months or less. And I haven’t used it that much as it just doesn’t seem to work! Basically might just buy a fluval co2 system as I wasted hundreds of dollars on refills just to have them wasted in two weeks or not start and I hear a “leak sound”
I run it only when I have my light on and it’s only 5 hours a day!
The ADA CO2 Forest Bottle is tiny, if that is what you are referring to then yes, depending on size of tank it lasting 2 weeks is entirely believable. I use a 10lb cylinder, its about 20 inches tall and 7 inches in diameter and it lasts about 3 to 5 months depending on how hard I push it.

I never recommend these out of box co2 solutions like ada or fluval for exactly this reason. They are incredibly expensive and completely inappropriate for long term use of co2. I would invest in a proper co2 system with regulator and 10lb cylinder purchased from your refilling site.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have to second that opinion. The Fluval CO2 system has very low ratings, as do several of the other small, inexpensive systems I looked at when I wanted to add CO2 a couple of months ago. It was my first try, but I bought a full-size system and am soooooo happy I did. I did get a complete system from CO2Art.us. I bought from them the first time because they did have good reviews and offered a system that included everything hut the CO2 and the tank. I wanted to make sure everything was included and that it would all be plug and play. Like many I was leery of CO2 setups, having heard how hard they can be, but the problems I keep reading about with the little systems like Fluval and ADA. I suspect those systems are okay for very small aquariums that you watch closely. It’s hard to maintain constant pressure and flow with those little systems. (This last bit I wrote has been seconded by an engineer familiar with pressurized systems)

I have had zero problems with the system other than some back-flow of water into the line when the system shuts down for the night. Relocating the check valve fixed that. (Okay, I don’t like the diffuser; it works fine, just ugly in my opinion.) I am not trying to advertise CO
2Art.us, which is really just the US storefront for a German company. Stuff I ordered arrived in two days from Germany the week before Christmas, so they were prompt, but they’re not the only company with complete systems, or that sell systems by the part.

After you do get a full CO2 system and get it working, you may find that, like aquariums, CO2 systems multiply. This week, I will be buying a second regulator and trimmings. Because this second aquarium is in the same room as the first CO2 system, I may buy a regulator with the ability to have two (or more) manifolds, for the convenience of having only one reg/CO2 Cylinder. That would leave me with my first regulator unused for when I talk my daughter into a a 55+ gallon aquarium downstairs for freshwater angelfish. Unless I decide to do a paludarium. Maybe both?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
This week, I will be buying a second regulator and trimmings. Because this second aquarium is in the same room as the first CO2 system, I may buy a regulator with the ability to have two (or more) manifolds, for the convenience of having only one reg/CO2 Cylinder. That would leave me with my first regulator unused for when I talk my daughter into a a 55+ gallon aquarium downstairs for freshwater angelfish. Unless I decide to do a paludarium. Maybe both?
Not trying to hijack OP's thread, but I don't think you'll need a whole new regulator. The post body kit that came with the CO2 Art package should be replaceable, so you should only need to add a needle valve, bubble counter, and a couple of fittings.

I'll admit that I'm not too familiar with the CO2Art systems, but almost every regulator should be capable of handling more than one outlet.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don’t like the diffuser; it works fine, just ugly in my opinion.
I'm putting in CO2Art inline diffusers today. The small one (12mm) went in this morning. The larger (17mm) goes in after work today.

I may buy a regulator with the ability to have two (or more) manifolds, for the convenience of having only one reg/CO2 Cylinder.
I have the CO2Art Pro Series with 2 manifolds.

To the OP: Even the larger systems have issues making sure everything is clean and tight. It's just that we don't have to take make new connections very often. I much prefer not to have to replace tanks often. I'm running one 20lbs tank on two aquariums and a 10lbs tank on a 3rd aquarium.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have to say the little paintball, 3 stage FZone regulator I've got has been OK. I have to have my tank(s) filled at a store 20 miles from here as not too many paintball shops in this area. For a 24 oz. tank on a 20 gallon it's been good, I get about 3 months between fills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts