The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Can't really get around to what really is the key difference(s) between these similar products other than the namebrand and slightly different specs.

- They all seem to contain trace elements. Some more than others.
- They all seem to last quite sometime (1-2 years).

Certainly price differences though.

- ADA Bacterball is 18 pcs for $18 = $1 each
- Ebiken Shou/Nagomi are 5 pcs for $18 = $3.60 each
- Benibachi Balls are 10 pcs for $37 = $3.70 each

Would a tank ever be in abundance of trace elements if one were to include all of these balls in one tank?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
'Abundance of trace elements' can then become poisonous to any animal. They are trace elements for a reason, animals only need very little of them.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ebiekn Shou is more akin to Purigen than a trace mineral source as they absorb things from the water.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Bacterball is a bacteria enhancing product for soil in planted tanks; it's just Bacter 100 shaped into a ball I believe. It's a good product and is supposedly good for shrimp; I've used it in Planted tanks with no noticeable difference i cycling time or algae. I've never had experience with Benibachi ball so I can't say anything about it one way or the other.

Either Shou or Nagomi are mineral products to increase shell quality (color) and molting in shrimp. I believe the other one of them is a small porous stone ball with small amounts of minerals that helps water quality by giving beneficial bacteria a place to live. In most tanks they live under the soil and in the filter, but this just gives them another place to grow, where shrimp can eat them.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I like the balls that have a bluish tinge, so I can say my tank has blue balls.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

1 - 6 of 6 Posts