The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking of getting some ADA aqua soil. I have a 55 gallon tank. Standard dimensions 48x12 (i think). I want the amazonia because it is the darkest color. How many liters would i need for 2-3 inches of depth? Should i get anything to go below the substrate? Like their power sand??? If i do get that how much would i need? This stuff is so damn expensive!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I use the powersand in all of my tanks.

and compared to some substrates it's only dollars more for something much better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Multiply the length and width of your tank, then multiply the depth you want the substrate to be.
Then convert it to litre, it should give you a rough idea of how many litre of substrate you need.

Its may be expensive, but check out the photo album for the results.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I use the powersand in all of my tanks.

and compared to some substrates it's only dollars more for something much better.
I heard too many complaints about how the PowerSand floats to the top when replanting.

While I agree ADA is great for planting and aesthetics, it may not be the best solution if you're looking for something long-term (2+) years. Overtime it slowly turns into fine silt, the more you play with your tank - the faster it will break down. It all depends on your budget and how frequently you'd like to tear your tanks down.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
True that it doesn't allow you to go in and rip things up... powersand does not float and when layered properly it's not much of a problem...thin layer of powersand to a thick layer of aquasoil works perfect and in fact I just removed some plants from my tank that has super long roots and no powersand surfaced.

with the long term thing there are lots of people who have had aquasoil for a long amount of time and there was no problem with it turning to fine silt...and with other substrates they lose all their nutrients so I don't think it makes much difference if it did turn to mush.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
True that it doesn't allow you to go in and rip things up... powersand does not float and when layered properly it's not much of a problem...thin layer of powersand to a thick layer of aquasoil works perfect and in fact I just removed some plants from my tank that has super long roots and no powersand surfaced.

with the long term thing there are lots of people who have had aquasoil for a long amount of time and there was no problem with it turning to fine silt...and with other substrates they lose all their nutrients so I don't think it makes much difference if it did turn to mush.
True. But all substrates will lose their nutrients overtime. You must also note that PowerSand contains all the nutrients (peat, laterite, macros, etc.) while AquaSoil is used for it's high CEC.

The difference is that with other substrates; the longer they remain in the aquarium, the better they get. Overtime it becomes loaded with beneficial bacteria that help in the breaking down of nutrients for plant use, it becomes an efficient relationship between the plants and bacteria. With AquaSoil you're going to have to throw it out and will lose a lot of that. AquaSoil would be too costly on larger aquariums (75G+).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So everyone is saying different stuff about this and it making me not even want to get it. Try and convince me why I should get it now.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
True. But all substrates will lose their nutrients overtime. You must also note that PowerSand contains all the nutrients (peat, laterite, macros, etc.) while AquaSoil is used for it's high CEC.

The difference is that with other substrates; the longer they remain in the aquarium, the better they get. Overtime it becomes loaded with beneficial bacteria that help in the breaking down of nutrients for plant use, it becomes an efficient relationship between the plants and bacteria. With AquaSoil you're going to have to throw it out and will lose a lot of that. AquaSoil would be too costly on larger aquariums (75G+).
How would other substrates get better when aquasoil has to get thrown out? The way I see it either substrates will become loaded with "bacterial colony" and both substrates will slowly lose the nutrients the once provided.

Also how would the aquasoil lower pH/KH like they advertise when all the stuff is in powersand? Have you ever seen powersand or aquasoil? Aquasoil is advertised to lower pH and KH while powersand is advertised to provide circulation and fertile nutrients as well as fertile nutrients.

Price wise.... it's not that much more when you break it down.. also 9L of aquasoil will give a std 10g 3-4" of substrate and have enough left over for an ADA mini-m which is a 5g..... Flourite has enough for a 2" thick layer in a std 10g.... maybe that's where the price comes in... there's more:icon_idea

Aquasoil 9L = $26
Flourite 15lbs = $18.99
Eco-complete 20lbs = $21.99
Florabase 12lbs = $21.99

now lets look at it again....looks like aquasoil is probably equivalent to the others when you judge them weight to weight and having used all of it I have to say that florabase is the only one that will come close to holding a dime to Aquasoil! and guess what....it's $21.99 for only 12lbs.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i think he meant that aquasoil breaks down over time and that the other ones dont, or dont do it as fast
Which one doesnt? Flourite or Eco-complete?

They don't break down but yet they aren't on the same level when it comes to nutrients offered or even lower pH/KH. Is Florabase not almost exact to aquasoil when it comes to structure? it is almost twice as much as Aquasoil but yet Aquasoil is the expensive one?

·
Registered
674 Posts
well he said that aquasoil has all the nutrients in it and it cant get better--it loses nutrients and breaks down and accumulates bacteria colonies. The other substrates may not be as great as ADA stuff in regards to nutrients, but they get better in the sense that they accumulate bact. colonies. Im not saying anyone is better or worse, just clarifying what i think he said

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
well he said that aquasoil has all the nutrients in it and it cant get better--it loses nutrients and breaks down and accumulates bacteria colonies. The other substrates may not be as great as ADA stuff in regards to nutrients, but they get better in the sense that they accumulate bact. colonies. Im not saying anyone is better or worse, just clarifying what i think he said
Raul does not know what he is talking about. He stated that the "You must also note that PowerSand contains all the nutrients (peat, laterite, macros, etc.) while AquaSoil is used for it's high CEC." That is not true. Aquasoil itself also has macro nutrients in it. I personally can say that it does not break down fast or as fast as he thinks. You will have no problem with the soil after a few years.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
55g should be 48x13, but pretty much the same.
You should be just fine with 4 bags. You'll probably have some left over. I used 4 1/2 bags on my 90 (48x18) and it was plenty.
Also, I second what Ian said. Why is it that so many people use aquasoil ALONE if it doesn't contain high levels of nutrients (it does)? I use aquasoil with powersand and, yes, PS comes to the surface if you're not careful. I was a little sloppy with moving the substrate around and have to push down white pebbles every so often. No big deal though, it's a quick fix. The bottom line is, Aquasoil is head-and-shoulders above everything else I've tried (fluorite, gravel w/root tabs, sand w/peat). I'm getting stellar growth, less algae and I don't even dose every day like I used to! If you buy from ADA's website, you should be able to get 4 bags for $104 + shipping, I think. It's DEFINATELY worth it. I'll use it on all my tanks until something better comes out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK.
Im going to get this stuff. I want the amazonia. Would 3 9L bags be enough plus like a layer under it of Power Sand SPECIAL-S 2 liter??? Is that what most do?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Just wanted to throw in here:

I think a standard question for folks getting ready to try Aqua Soil for the first time should be:

What kind of water do You have? (Hard, Soft, What?)

I am one of the Hard water people whose first experience with Aqua Soil was Horrible, because I was Unaware of the Hard water effects. Seems I'm not alone.

Just wanting to try to get that thought out there to help prevent others from having such high-hopes just to have it all blow up in our face.......:proud:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Just wanted to throw in here:

I think a standard question for folks getting ready to try Aqua Soil for the first time should be:

What kind of water do You have? (Hard, Soft, What?)

I am one of the Hard water people whose first experience with Aqua Soil was Horrible, because I was Unaware of the Hard water effects. Seems I'm not alone.

Just wanting to try to get that thought out there to help prevent others from having such high-hopes just to have it all blow up in our face.......:proud:

Check my ADA AS Melting [email protected] thread. There's a link on there to how to properly cycle your ADA AS before use. We have hard water here in LA and it wreaked havoc on my plants. They're growing now, but those first few weeks were pretty depressing.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hey epicfish,

I did, and that's what explained to me why my out-come was so bad. And it will help others before they go through our negative experience! And that's why I am bringing all of this up--I think we all need to keep that question (What kind of water do You have?) in the back of our mind in order to start asking folks and then giving them proper guidance.

I spent $165 shipped--for a Disaster! Wish I would have known then--what I know now! :hihi:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts