The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the design phase of setting up a rimless 40g breeder. I have already tried MTS, organic potting soil, and creek sediment with varying degrees of success. One of my current set-ups, seen here, has Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil capped with a 50:40:10 mix of Eco-Complete/Fluorite/Laterite cap. My other set-up is a mix of creek sediment and MTS capped with PFS. This one is growing plants well but I have been fighting green water algae since I set it up. It normally looks like this :redface:.

I want to try and circumvent these issues and go with a stable, commercially available, and aesthetically pleasing substrate. I have decided to finally give ADA Aquasoil Amazonia I a try.

So here are my questions:
1:Are any of the additives sold by ADA essential?
-The ADA Layout Guide suggests a 1/2 base layer of Power Sand Special which also contains Bacter 100 and Clear Super.
2:Is there sufficient iron content or should I supplement the soil with an iron rich substance such as laterite?

·
Registered
160 Posts
i was wondering..with substrates like eco complete you can just use the gravel vac to pickup fish poop and whatever else seems into the cracks..what about with aquasoil? what do we do here o_0

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
You can deep vac ADA AS, but you need to throttle the siphon vac by squeezing the hose to keep the larger grains there and remove the fine dust.

It is much harder/takes loinger to clean this way than hard sands/EC, flourite etc.

But it can be done fairly straight forward, just takes longer.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
63 Posts
The only draw backs to AS I is the yellowing and ammonia spikes. However, the yellowing can be managed by using purigen. It really cleared up my tank. I was using activated carbon and it wasnt working. Then I tried purigen and within 2 days the yellowing was gone. To deal with ammonia just do water changes.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The only draw backs to AS I is the yellowing and ammonia spikes. However, the yellowing can be managed by using purigen. It really cleared up my tank. I was using activated carbon and it wasnt working. Then I tried purigen and within 2 days the yellowing was gone. To deal with ammonia just do water changes.
Agreed. I found purigen necessary to clear up my water when using AS. My other tanks without AS are always crystal clear, even clearer than the AS tank with purigen. I've been using AS for about a year now. I should add that it is in my only high light tank, and it also has a fairly big piece of driftwood in it, so that possibly is also contributing the the water clarify problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.