The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It’s been awhile, but I’ve jumped back into the planted tank game with a dream setup (also running my first reef tank as well!). Perfect unintentional backlighting provided courtesy of the reef tank

Equipment:
ADA 60P
Aquasky RGB 60
ADA Metal tand
Oase Biomaster Thermo 350

Hardscape:
ADA Amazonia ver2 + Power Sand
ADA Kei Stone
Hornwood

Plants:
Utricularia graminifolia
Dwarf hairgrass
Monte Carlo
Myriophyllum aquaticum
Crypt. spiralis ‘tiger’
Rotala macrandra ‘mini butterfly’
Heimianthus micranthemoides
Tonina fluviatilis
Rotala rotundfolia ‘orange juice’
Rotala ‘H’Ra’
Alternanthera reineckii ‘mini’
Hygrophlia pinnatifida
Ludwigia arcuata
Bacopa monnieri
Mini pellia
Java moss
Anubias nana ‘pinto’
Bucephlandra (assorted)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks very good, if you can get a set of lilly pipes will look even better. No room for the canister in the stand?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 week update

Added the Anubias, Buce, Tonina, and Crypt after the initial planting and picture. Here’s how everything is looking so far.

The UG was dry started for almost a month while I was stocking the other plants. It’s had some melt and struggling to take off, but it seems like it is growing in some parts so I’m not too worried about it yet.
The Rotala orange juice and Ludwigia have really taken off on the right side. The Rotala mini butterfly is coloring up nice, but not nearly as fast growing as the orange juice. The H’Ra, that started from a small tissue culture, has been completely covered by the OJ so we’ll see if I can even identify it once it gets taller.
The Myrio started big and has been trimmed a few times as the tips have gotten even bigger. They also seem to be getting scorched by the light when they’re so close to the surface.
The pinnatifida and Alternanthera are growing much more compact and slow than I thought they would being sandwiched between the fast growing Rotala OJ and Ludwigia.
The Monte Carlo is doingmuch better than expected having been glued to the rockwork with no substrate.
The Tonina seems to be doing well in some areas and melting rapidly in others even though it’s all in the same small area. Makes it seem like it caught some infection or something. Mostly affecting the bottoms so it could be nutrients

Been doing daily 50% water changes for the first two weeks and will be shifting to every other day for the next week.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks very good, if you can get a set of lilly pipes will look even better. No room for the canister in the stand?
Actually the issue was I cut the tubing too short 😅. The pipes are coming and so eventually the filter will go behind the stand. The plan is for metal ones as I hate cleaning the glass pipes and have broken them in my hand cleaning them before as well. I might keep the Oase output though because I really like how the surface looks with the angled flow. The way that the stand is shaped, the Oase is too big to be underneath.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Actually the issue was I cut the tubing too short 😅. The pipes are coming and so eventually the filter will go behind the stand. The plan is for metal ones as I hate cleaning the glass pipes and have broken them in my hand cleaning them before as well. I might keep the Oase output though because I really like how the surface looks with the angled flow. The way that the stand is shaped, the Oase is too big to be underneath.
I hear you, cleaning those glass pipes is a hassle and I have 2 sets. One broke on my hand a few weeks ago, luckily I was using a towel and had an extra intake. Metal ones are nice, tried them but my tank looked weird with 2 sets. The brown clear tubing that comes with the filter is a pain, had to buy clear for a cleaner look and much easier to use Vs the Oase.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of the hardscape drafts for those interested.

I didn’t have a concrete theme going in, and somewhat drew inspiration from the materials I had available. That being said, I did have a few goals:
1. I knew I wanted to do a mix of both nature aquarium and Dutch styles, as I love the aesthetic of NA and the plant variety in Dutch. Since this was going to be my only planted tank, I knew I wouldn’t have the discipline to limit the plant varieties and go full nature style.
2. I wanted to have terraces order to create layers for depth as well as being able to display carpeting plants in the midground. The 60P is surprisingly shallow at only a foot deep. Inspired by El Capitan, I wanted to make a sheer “cliff” as prominent as possible. This became really challenging and ended up really using up all the back space in the center. I’m hoping the stems will grow in thick enough that it won’t be a problem.
3. UG carpet foreground. I have always loved the shade and texture of UG that you just can’t get with any other plant.

The driftwood selection was quite the process as well. At one point I thought about doing rock only, but glad I stuck with it. Ended up finding some pieces that I could create lines with as well as sort of “hold” the plants.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I love my Oase filter but the tubing sucks. It is way too stiff. I bought some clear ADA tubing from Aqua Forest Aquarium and it is perfect. I am sure that cheaper tubing of similar quality can be found at a big box store but most may have writing on it or be also too stiff or too thin walled.

When you cut it this time make it too long. You can always cut it back ;)

Also consider some Eheim double tap quick connects.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 month update!

As expected, most of the stems need a good trimming now. The Rotala rotunfolia orange juice by far is the happiest growing tall and thick. The myrio has been growing tall as well and the taller stems have already been trimmed and replanted.
After some melt, the UG has started to fill in now and I expect it to take off in another couple of weeks. Hairgrass is doing ok and filling out as well.
Surprisingly the macrandra mini isn’t growing nearly as fast as the rotundfolia OJ, but it’s still growing well. The pearlweed also seems like it’s taking its time as well.
The Tonina, unsurprisingly, has had its issues. The stems look bright, big, and healthy but will suddenly suffer rapid melt from the bottom and middle. I’ve upped the CO2 and dosingbecause of this, so hopefully that might help.

The Monte Carlo is looking good as well. I wasn’t sure what to expect as this was my first time trying it glued to rock.
As far as fertz goes, I started out with just potassium, ECA, Flourish, and Flourish Advanced. Now that the tank looks to be cycled more and the nitrates are naturally down, I’ve switched out the potassium and Flourish with UNS all-in-one plant food.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post trim

The Tonina seems to be doing much better with more breathing room.
The macrandra seems to be losing a lot of its red color and I’m unsure why. Maybe it is the elevated nitrates from the UNS/EI dosing.
Having hair and algae starting as well, so I got 6 Amanos from the LFSand they’ve gone to work. Unfortunately one of them didn’t make it past the second day, but the remaining 5 seems healthy and hungry. I don’t see any hair algae left in the tank and they took care of the remaining fungus left of the driftwood too. However they have also taken care of my carpet...
All the UG that isn’t deeply rooted has mostly been ripped up of it. There hasn’t been any more melt so it seems like it’s adjusted and there are at least some sections I can see that are rooting well. I guess I will just have to be patient now. That being said, I don’t think I would bother with the dry start method next time. I would rather plant heavy and wet from the start.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Tonina is looking BIG now. Looks like the issue with melting earlier was not enough fertz to keep up with the CO2. Some side shoots are starting to form as well.
I had put a couple stems of it in my shrimp tank and those have been doing well with no melt, but are just tiny due to the low tech setup (still gets a little CO2 though).

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
112 Posts
Not sure yet if I will do the outlet as I like the adjustability of the current outlet.
I have a similar setup and I throttle my outflow on the filter itself, you can actually control it by partially closing the the inflow/outflow (not all the way just some). I believe the manual itself says you can do this, so it's not something that would stress the filter.

Another way that I reduce flow on my smaller tank is to use a quick release double tap valve. These are amazing for hose maintenance. But they are another popular way to reduce flow on external filters by partially closing the valve just on the outflow hose. Eheim are great, but I think I like UNS Deltas even more because they turn with less resistance and are easier to detach. Just some thoughts in case you wanted to spend even more money and get a matching outflow lily pipe 💰💰💰.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a similar setup and I throttle my outflow on the filter itself, you can actually control it by partially closing the the inflow/outflow (not all the way just some). I believe the manual itself says you can do this, so it's not something that would stress the filter. View attachment 1030120

Another way that I reduce flow on my smaller tank is to use a quick release double tap valve. These are amazing for hose maintenance. But they are another popular way to reduce flow on external filters by partially closing the valve just on the outflow hose. Eheim are great, but I think I like UNS Deltas even more because they turn with less resistance and are easier to detach. Just some thoughts in case you wanted to spend even more money and get a matching outflow lily pipe 💰💰💰.
I do the same to reduce the outflow in one of my filters in my tank. I have 2, one full outflow and the other one reduced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts