The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update #1:

Introduction: I have been totally into freshwater shrimp since I first saw them, and I decided to put together a dedicated shrimp tank. I wanted to try an ADA tank since I have heard so many good things about them. So a 60p seemed like a good start.

I still need to decide on a background. The easy choice would be dark, but I am tempted by a light and slightly back-lit background. Not much other to do than that and wait for the plants and mosses to grow in.

Substrate: ADA amazonia. Is this stuff really as magical as everyone says? I thought it was time for me to find out.

Lighting:My buddy put together an awesome LED build with separately adjustable white and yellow LEDs on a ramp timer.

Filtration: DIY 10g sump/refugium. Pictures below.

CO2 and Ferts: Update: c02 injection from 10lb tank with victor dual-stage reg. EI dosing with auto-dosers.

Fauna: CRS/CBS and fire yellow colony. Potentially compatabile micro fish once colonies are established.

Flora: c. parva, c. lucens, a. nana petite, s. repens, e. parkeri, e. cinereum, peacock moss, m. minuta

I am open to other suggestions. I was thinking maybe c. petchii or another small-medium sized crypt, or maybe red lotus if I could keep it pruned small enough? I have lots of vibrant greens atm, but I was especially hoping for something more on the reddish spectrum.

Photos:

The DIY 10g Sump:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update #2 on 12/9/13.

The tank plan and design has been changed quite a bit since the dry start. I am running c02 on an EI regimen with auto-dosers. This is because that Rudger dude decided he had all these gadgets he wasn't going to be using anytime soon. I blame him.

Overall, things are going well. The moss really filled in nicely. I put some UG in during the dry start and moved the MM. I will probably move things around a bit more as the plants fill in, and I find a few additional things I am looking for.

I am surprised at how long the ADA amazonia leeches ammonia. I changed water out of the substrate a few times during the dry start, and I thought this would give me a good head start. However, I am in week 3-4 with frequent water changes and there is still detectable ammonia. I have a bit of algae, but I'm not surprised since there was no cleaning crew. The ammonia levels were finally low enough I felt comfortable dumping some amano shrimp in over the weekend. They have been doing a good job cleaning things up. Once the ammonia is down to 0, some horned nerites I have been saving for this tank will go in. With capped dirt substrates, I have never really had ammonia issues after a dry start, so this is a new experience for me.

I put in couple temporary Riparium Supply planters for a bit of extra help on the substrate leeching.

The e. cinerum and e. parkeri didn't really like the dry start that much, but have been perking up nicely since I flooded:

After spending some time looking dead, the moss really exploded during the dry start. Amano moss method is the way to go. It has slowed down since flooding, but I am having to trim it regularly.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am interested in your sump. I have only seen a small number of sumps on planted tanks under 30ish gallons. How are you dealing with in/outflow?
You can see part of the in-flow to the sump in the top pictures. I will take better pictures of that and post. It's DIY bent acrylic modeled after the inflow seen here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showpost.php?p=3591601&postcount=1. I forget what that style is called. Outflow is a DIY acrylic spray-bar. I ran it empty for a couple weeks to make sure it works. Very pleased with it. I have the sump running in a closed loop right now to keep it cycled during the dry start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts