The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

First time aquascaper here. This is my first attempt and absolutely loved the process of planning, buying, collecting and scaping!

My collection is as follows:

Tank
- ADA 30C Cube Garden

Light
- ADA Aquasky

Filtration
- Ehiem Canister Filter (2213)
- DoAqua Inflow
- DoAqua Outflow
- ADA 10mm and 12mm pipework

CO2 System
- CO2PRO Compact Regulator
- CO2PRO 0.82L Cylinder
- ADA Check Valve
- ADA High Pressure Tubing
- DoAqua Bubble Counter
- ADA 180 degree Tubing Bend
- DoAqua Diffuser
- CAL clip n drop checker

Heating
- Hydor In-line Heater (200w)
- ADA thermometer

Substrate
- Penac P
- Penac W
- ADA Bacter 100
- ADA Power Sand S
- ADA Aqua Soil
- White Sand

Hardscape
- Seiryu Stone

Plants
- HC
- NEED SUGGESTIONS TO COMPLIMENT MY HARDSCAPE PLEASE!!!!! :)

Tank hardscape was setup on the 29th of April.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HC was planted on 3rd of May. Tank was filled straight after

The sand at the front right of the tank was disturbed while I was filling the tank (as seen below) :( Luckily it didn't take that long to clean that area up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Week 1

pH: 6.0
Ammonia: 8 ppm
Nitrite: 5 ppm
Water Temp: 26 degrees
Water Change: 40% Everyday
Fertilser Dosing: None

Lighting Time: 8 hrs
CO2 Rate: 2 bps

Comments
- At about Day 4, the tank started getting traces of what could be thread algae on some planted patches of HC. The algae has since spread across the whole tank and long strands of algae can now be seen hanging off the stones and even on the sand. The algae is also starting to turn brown. I have lowered photo time to 4 hours as of today.

- Some of the HC patches have faded to a light brown.

- Water is still slightly cloudy (I do have Purigen in my canister filter).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Week 2

Water Temp: 24.5 degrees
Water Change: 40% Every 3rd Day
Fertilser Dosing: Excel

Lighting Time: 4 hrs
CO2 Rate: 1.5 bps

Comments
- I gave the 1-2 punch treatment a shot and it appears that I might have rid my tank of filamentous diatoms! It has now been around 5 days since the double dose and I can't see any signs of it! The filamentous diatoms were getting way out of hand as growth was very fierce! I would remove long strands of up to 15cm and literally by the next night, new strands of the same length would have developed in other areas of the tank. I think the bloom might have something to do with the amount of silicate leached into the water from the sand in the tank + too much light + not enough CO2?

- I added some inhabitants into the tank which included 2 ottos and 8 cherry shirmp (red, blue, black and yellow). They have been doing a great job with cleaning up what was left of the filamentous diatoms!

- No real plant growth over the past week, this is mainly due to the fact that I had to do a trim/replant the HC as they were completely covered in filamentous diatoms. Since the trim/replant, it looks like the HC is maintaining a nice bright green colour! Not too sure if this has anything to do with the fact that I am dosing 5ml of Excel every water change (40% WC) to keep the algae/diatoms at bay?

- Water is still slightly cloudy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Week 3

pH: 7.2
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm
Water Temp: 24 degrees
Water Change: 40% Every 3 Days
Fertilser Dosing: None

Lighting Time: 4 hrs
CO2 Rate: 1.5 bps

Comments
- It was a sad day this morning. I woke up to find 6 of my Cherry Shrimp dead. Nothing besides food has been in the tank for the 5 days so I am a little stumped as to why this has happen. My only two surviving shrimp looked quite pale as well this morning but it seems they have come good since then. I contacted my seller about my unpleasant surprise this morning and he was more than happy to talk me through potential scenarios as to why this happen. I believe either a family member might have been spraying some sort of aerosol near the tank OR the tank wasn't getting enough oxygen as I might have discovered tonight when I took apart my canister filter. Either way, the surviving two shrimp seem to be doing well since this morning.

- Can definitely see some HC growth. It might be super slow, nevertheless, its growing so I can't complain! I have also discovered that the HC patches on the right side of the tank grow faster than the HC patches on the left side as the substrate on the right side is far more elevated than the left side (i.e. the HC is closer to the light source).

- Its the biggest PITA trying to keep the soil from encroaching onto the sand, especially with inhabitants in the tank (not soo many now)! Hopefully when the HC grows out, it will help give the soil surface abit more stability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding growth — with a lot of carpet plants, they put energy into building roots before you see a lot of growth above the substrate. Your plants are growing, it's just not where you can see. Normally after 2 weeks you'll see it start to spread more. At least that's been my experience.
Yeah, the HC is growing now! But it appears that it is growing more in the vertical rather than horizontal. Perhaps I can trim regularly to encourage horizontal growth..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts