The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing craigslist a few weeks ago and found an ADA 30C setup with Aquasky LED and GLA and some other goodies for $300 so I pounced. Over the following weeks I toyed with exactly what I wanted to do with it. This is what I came up with.

Tank: ADA 30C
Stand: DIY
Filter: AZOO External Power Filter (canister)
Pipes: JARDLI 17mm Stainless Steel Lily Pipe set
Light: ADA Aquasky
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil, Carib Sea Super Natural Sunset Gold
Hardscape: Lavarock
Plants: Brownie Firebird (Buce), Kir Royale (Buce), Althernanthera reineckii 'mini'

The first obstacle was the scape. I decided to go with an island theme. I tried a few different scaping options.


Eventually I settled on one.


At the same time, I was also looking at options for filtration and realized I could use the SS pipes from JARDLI to create a more seamless look for the filtration.


I think it turned out alright.


I do have to adapt the 17mm down to 3/8" for the filter, but that's not a big deal.


Finally, I was able to setup the scape.


I cut a ring out of a 2 gallon bucket that was roughly 8-1/2" in diameter to separate the sand from the aquasoil. I'm leaving the ring in the scape to keep root from spreading out to the sand. The small amount of the ring that still shows will be covered by buce. I'll be gluing the buce along the exterior of the island, on the lava rock. The inside of the island will be planted with the Althernanthera reineckii, giving the scape it's name.

I'm hoping to receive the buce today so that I can plant tonight, but it looks like USPS left my package from buceplant.com on the dock this morning. The AR is from 1-2-Grow and is chilling in my fridge so it should be good for another day's wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This tank is up and running. Had some issues with the reineckii 'mini'.

After originally planting the reineckii 'mini', I had quite a few stems left over. I didn't want to waste them so I tried to grow them emerged in a tupperware container with some aquasoil and a lamp. After weeks of trying to grow them, I gave up, removing the lamp. Meanwhile, the 'mini' wasn't doing all that well in the tank either. After another week or two, I realized I hadn't torn down my emerged growth experiment and decided it was time to clean it up. Much to my surprise, with no light for well over a week, there was a ton of new growth! I was able to take these and replace the dying stems in the tank. They've really taken off since then.

The tank needs a thorough cleaning, then I'll post some more pictures.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top