The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I currently don't have any fish however in the near future I plan on adding x number of neon tetras, hatchet fish, cory cats, german rams, small angelfish. Here are the current plants...

Plant species
Amazon swords
Anacharis
Java fern (not on purpose it was stuck between the sword leaves)
Small amount of micro sword

Hopfully tomorrow I will be able to pick up some cabomba to add the the right hand corner of the tank. This should leave a fairly decent open area in the middle of the tank.

I get the feeling someone will tell me this so I will go ahead and give an fyi. I know the swords will be very large in a short amount of time. I am planing on it :proud:

Also I know that the sand will probably not stay so nice and white. Enjoy!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is always tomorrow! Unfortunatly I live in the desert so it might be hard to find appropriate leaves and twigs.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Sweet.
Actually, most parts of the amazon are sand bottom, but with leaves on the sand.
An angelfish will be too big for that tank, consider 30 gallons a minimum for them.
Have you given any thought to an oil driftwood catfish?
they get about 2.5 inches,, and are very interesting.
o, and if i were you, i would go with one of the dwarf cories(C.pygmeus, C.hasbrosus, C. hastatus?)
they would reduce bio load a little, being alot smaller, and they would keep the proportion right.
it looks nice though.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hey did you end up taking out the Jfern? It would help to keep the tank a biotope if you did. just a thought.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Why different substrate?
I like the sand, very natural IMO.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Don't remove the sand!! I really like the driftwood and the sword!! If you have the chances add some more amazon sword then it would be great!:icon_smil

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't remove the sand!! I really like the driftwood and the sword!! If you have the chances add some more amazon sword then it would be great!:icon_smil
For now I think I will just let the current swords fill in as the last ones I had got HUGE!!!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yea, i like the sand and the swords. you could add micro sword for a nice foreground, or sag.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It doesn't look like you have enough sand. Those Amazon Swords develop a pretty good root system. Actually, that doesn't look like an Amazon sword.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have more just needs to be rinsed. Besides swords, cabomba, and anacharis what else could I add that would keep to the biotope?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Mayaca, myriophyllums, microsword, eriocaulan spp. Mattongrosso(i have no idea what i just typed there!)
uhhh....amazon frogbit(various other floaters)
IDK- check APC's plantfinder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts