The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been 7 months in the making but I finally got my new tank setup today!

Tank: ADA 120-P (~65 gallon)
Filters: Eheim 2117 x 2
CO2: 10lb bottle, inline reactor
Lighting: 48" Ray II: Ultra Slim High Output LED
Hardscape: 84lb of Manten stone

Going to do ~1 week emersed growth before I fill it.

Huge thanks to Joseph from Miyabi Aqua. He came over and helped with the layout. And by helped I'll be honest, it was pretty much all him. :) Nice to have his experienced eyes on the project as I had been struggling with hardscape for a while now. Also thank you's to Pat from Canadian Aquatics and of course all the members of this forum for their guidance and opinions!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Nice Manten stone, the main one has great character.

How do you like the Ray2 on this larger size tank?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Personally I feel as though your main feature is very in-your-face (for a lack of a better term). This could be appealing to some, but not so much to others. Personally, I'd rather see it moved back a little as Mark said, but it's all up to you!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the suggestions but I am done with the tweaking! :)

I personally love that the center stone is up front and in your face. :) If you look qt the fIrst pIc, Its actualy quite far back. In the 2nd pic the shadow makes It look closer. RIght now Its bare In front but the DHG will grow which will create an illusion of distance before a sheer "cliff".

The Ray2 puts out a ton of light for its size. Only time will tell if its effective at growing though. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like the scape. Interesting how the stand looks white in the first picture and Dark brown in the second. Crazy lighting effect.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Appreciate the suggestions but I am done with the tweaking! :)

I personally love that the center stone is up front and in your face. :) If you look qt the fIrst pIc, Its actualy quite far back. In the 2nd pic the shadow makes It look closer. RIght now Its bare In front but the DHG will grow which will create an illusion of distance before a sheer "cliff".

The Ray2 puts out a ton of light for its size. Only time will tell if its effective at growing though. Fingers crossed.

I was going to say it looked better in the empty picture, but if it's the same layout and really just an illusion than I think you're fine. Try moving your light forward some to get rid of that shadow and take another picture.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
1 week later, everything is looking good. Flooded the tank on saturday. A couple of plants melted completely but the new growth is coming in quickly. tones of runners on the DHG, had to tuck a number of them under the soil.

What a difference with proper co2 from the start.

2nd picture is with the light moved forward. Gets rid of that shadow for sure. might consider another ray2 so I can keep one up front... will give it some time first.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did some tests today,

Ammonia, NH4: 5
Nitrite, NO2: 0
Nitrate, NO3: 20-30
pH: 6
Gh: 4
KH: 1

I'm EI dosing with dry ferts from Pat (Canadian Aquatics) that I've premixed into two containers for liquid dosing. Worked great for my little 8g but there's too much calcium in the macro mix 710ml water bottle and its not dissolving properly so when I pour a dose I get 1/2 pink sludge. Will need to figure something out there.

Talking with Joseph (Miyabi Aqua ADA distributor) and he reminded me to get my kH to 4 dkh for optimal co2 uptake. Added 3tsp Alkalinity Buffer today, will recheck tomorrow and possibly add more. Sunday is my first 50% water change, been doing 20% every other day.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
argh... algae

Started showing 3 days ago, just over a week from flooding the tank. It's growing only on the hardscape (pretty much all stones) and only where light hits.

Referencing http://www.guitarfish.org/algae, it looks like it may be Cyanobacteria. I've had an earthy smell since I setup the tank which is consistent. However, I have tones of circulation, high (20-30.0) nitrates, and brand new LED lighting.

I should add, the water column now has a slight green tinge to it.

Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts