The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard 75 gallon. 48x18x21. I have 3 inches of Eco Complete and 2 canister filters. 1 Eheim pro 4 and an Eheim Classic 2217. I'm wondering if I'm wrong on my guess. I'm calculating for 75 gallons.

Do you think I have less water in the system?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Unless the tank is empty and filled to the brim, most certainly you do have less than you think. The volume of a cuboid is the length times the height times the depth, all in inches, divided by 231 which will give you your answer in gallons. Just subtract from the height the depth of your substrate to get your actual gallonage. Otherwise, if you want to be really exact, us the inside measurements of your tank from below the rim. And also recall that every grain of substrate, every piece of hardscape, the very walls of your tubing an the bodies of the fish themselves will also displace additional water volume if you want to get super precise. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless the tank is empty and filled to the brim, most certainly you do have less than you think. The volume of a cuboid is the length times the height times the depth, all in inches, divided by 231 which will give you your answer in gallons. Just subtract from the height the depth of your substrate to get your actual gallonage. Otherwise, if you want to be really exact, us the inside measurements of your tank from below the rim. And also recall that every grain of substrate, every piece of hardscape, the very walls of your tubing an the bodies of the fish themselves will also displace additional water volume if you want to get super precise. I hope that helps.
This helps tremendously, thank you! I was way over estimating.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had no idea it was so much less. I have been over dosing fertilizer like crazy! This is week 1 on corrected numbers. Fingers X.
Good luck to you and keep us posted on things like change in water clarity, algae population, plant growth rates and fish behavior.

As everyone else pointed out, yup, it's always less than you think and a good thing for hobbyists to be aware of when stocking and dosing.

I almost forgot, worth mentioning but I'm sure most people know it, that 231 figure? There are 231 cubic inches in a gallon. So if you can take a decent estimate of your hardscape's cubic inches, divide by 231, you'll then know how much less overall gallonage you have. The quotient will be in decimal but you can find converters online to turn it back into Imperial (pints, quarts, etc...).

Reactions: Mmiller2001

·
Registered
308 Posts
I knew my hardscape displaced a decent amount of water, but I never realized how much it did until I rescaped my 75 gallon. By the time I removed 3/4 of the substrate and rocks, I had lowered the water level to about 2/3s or less...

Reactions: ukamikazu

·
Registered
418 Posts
Same here, Pllnkploop. I ain't too proud to admit it, either. So don't be hard on yourself, Mmiller2001. It's all part of the learning process.

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's weird, I was dosing those overdosed numbers with pool filter sand and had no problems. The plants grew pretty well, especially for being so new to planted aquariums.

But I changed the substrate over to Eco Complete, and things are not going like I thought they should. GDA is going nuts and I'm getting some type of filamentous algae around the substrate. Certainly, as others have mentioned, it's a new substrate that needs to balance, but I figured something wasn't right. Hopefully this sets a smoother path.

It's true every tank is different and I will include every substrate is different too!

·
Super Moderator
15,782 Posts
What's weird, I was dosing those overdosed numbers with pool filter sand and had no problems. The plants grew pretty well, especially for being so new to planted aquariums.

But I changed the substrate over to Eco Complete, and things are not going like I thought they should. GDA is going nuts and I'm getting some type of filamentous algae around the substrate. Certainly, as others have mentioned, it's a new substrate that needs to balance, but I figured something wasn't right. Hopefully this sets a smoother path.

It's true every tank is different and I will include every substrate is different too!
That tends to happen because of the concentration of nutrients in the Eco Complete liquid. It's an inert substrate doesn't provide anything special for plants - it's all in the juice in the bag. (It's just crushed lava rock.) Did you rinse it or leave it in when adding it to your tank?

It's unfortunately notorious for causing the kind of algae you've mentioned.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That tends to happen because of the concentration of nutrients in the Eco Complete liquid. It's an inert substrate doesn't provide anything special for plants - it's all in the juice in the bag. (It's just crushed lava rock.) Did you rinse it or leave it in when adding it to your tank?

It's unfortunately notorious for causing the kind of algae you've mentioned.
I just dumped it in with no rinsing. It's also raising my KH. I water change with 0dKH, and by the end of the week, it's just below 2dKH. Hopefully this stops soon. It's been about 8 weeks now since swapping to Eco Complete.

·
Super Moderator
15,782 Posts
I will say GDA was less this past water change.
Good to hear. Usually just takes a bunch of water changes to get things squared away.

But you mentioned you're doing water changes with 0 kH - why? Since you have an inert substrate, there's no buffering capacity to keep parameters like pH stable. You'd need to have a kH of ~2 in order to maintain stability.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to hear. Usually just takes a bunch of water changes to get things squared away.

But you mentioned you're doing water changes with 0 kH - why? Since you have an inert substrate, there's no buffering capacity to keep parameters like pH stable. You'd need to have a kH of ~2 in order to maintain stability.
I'm trying to emulate Greggz's tank as close as possible. He runs 0KH. I haven't noticed any pH changes out side of a 1.4 drop and rise.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wanted to thank you all again for your input. I think things are moving into a better direction. The tank acted odd with the dosing change, then I probably agitated it more with a new light; but I think I'm seeing happier plants.
Flower Plant Plant community Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

1 - 18 of 18 Posts