The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was just getting ready to type the same question. I was looking at their lake gems. I just contacted the company to see if it was safe for snails. Haven't gotten a reply yet. Would like to put this in a 5 gallon tank I am setting up. My only concern is that they say do NOT clean the gravel, ever. Hope someone has used this to answer. Thanks for asking the question.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought Activ-Flora Lake Gems and Floragems. I put it in the tank yesterday. Since I currently have no fish in the tank, I removed most of the water. I bought a bag for my five gallon and a bag for the ten gallon. One bag was a bit less than I wanted for my ten. I used the Lake gems on the sides and put the Floragems at an angle in the middle where micro swords are planted.
I can't speak for how plants will grow, as I've only had it for 24 hours. I can say I really like the look. I like the Floragems best, but it really is personal taste. As the company suggests, I did not rinse and carefully dumped it in the tank.
It was almost two inches of very cloudy water. No different than if you add nitrifying bacteria.
Within a couple of hours the tank was clearing and by this morning it was clear.
I have attached two pics of the tanks. As you can tell my plants need to grow. The first picture is the five gallon with Floragems. Second, has Lake Gems on the left and right, Floragems in the middle.
I wanted to post this because I wanted to find pics before buying but didn't have much luck.
Hope it helps someone who is on the fence.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I bought Activ-Flora Lake Gems and Floragems. I put it in the tank yesterday. Since I currently have no fish in the tank, I removed most of the water. I bought a bag for my five gallon and a bag for the ten gallon. One bag was a bit less than I wanted for my ten. I used the Lake gems on the sides and put the Floragems at an angle in the middle where micro swords are planted.

I can't speak for how plants will grow, as I've only had it for 24 hours. I can say I really like the look. I like the Floragems best, but it really is personal taste. As the company suggests, I did not rinse and carefully dumped it in the tank.

It was almost two inches of very cloudy water. No different than if you add nitrifying bacteria.

Within a couple of hours the tank was clearing and by this morning it was clear.

I have attached two pics of the tanks. As you can tell my plants need to grow. The first picture is the five gallon with Floragems. Second, has Lake Gems on the left and right, Floragems in the middle.

I wanted to post this because I wanted to find pics before buying but didn't have much luck.

Hope it helps someone who is on the fence.
I really like the look of the lake gems. Thanks for the post!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.