The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the planted aquarium scene. Im in the process of setting up a 20g long for a planted set up w/ a few fish. I was wondering if any of y'all have heard of "Floracore" put out by Activ-Flora?

Is it worth getting to start the cycle in my tank? It says its specifically made for a planted aquarium, but will anything in it have a negative side-effect on the fish i want to put in there?

·
Are these real?
15,698 Posts
Shouldn't affect any fish. But "getting it to start the cycle in your tank" doesn't make much sense. If it is going to be a planted tank, check out Flourite too which is a proven planted tank substrate and could be found cheaper.

Adding a lot of fast-growing plants, and adding fish slowly is the best way to cycle a tank. Plants eat up ammonium and nitrites.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
This is a new product on the market.

I saw some recently, it's packaged in liquid and looks VERY similar to Eco Complete, making the same claim that the liquid contains N-bacteria and will help jump-start a tank's cycle.

At least in theory, N-bacteria can be induced into a dormant state where they don't need oxygen to survive, and that's what's packaged in these substrates and in the old version of Cycle. (Cycle needed to be refrigerated, however...)

Personally, as the N-bacteria we need are aerobic and therefore need O2 to survive, I've remained skeptical about these cycling products and feel you should always keep an eye on ammonia levels in every new tank setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts