Copper ............................17
Zinc...............................29
Iron.............................18500
Units=mg/kg
Potassium .................... 2195

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Active Floria comes wet in about 12lb bags at Petco so it's in a nutrient bath similar to what Eco-Complete has at the factory. I've found that all three are very similar over the long run you just have to watch for early spikes in water chemistry with Eco and Active Floria as with anything I wouldn't just dump fish into the tank the same day you put it together.

- Brad

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bought to bags of active flora from petco (maybe petsmart? I don't remember) a few weeks ago. I think the only difference was that the active flora comes in 'nutrient enriched liquid' and is a little finer with chunks of rock in it.

Heres a few photos I took a min ago of it in my 15g desk tank (not planted or stocked, yet)... I don't know what all you can really see, but you can see a few of the rocks that come in it, and those where the ones that just happened to be on the surface when I dumped it all in, I'm sure there's a lot more down in the substrate too.

edit; Oh, and see this http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/substrate/99132-active-flora-makes-cloudy-tank.html thread for all the trouble I've gone through with this substrate. I know all of this could've been avoided had I washed it good, or at all even, but the bag really does say not to. Meh.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That's what that is, is floracore. Or atleast it came in a floracore bag. Their website shows it to have actual gravel in it, and looks more like flourite. But when it comes out of the bag it is entirely sand with a few rocks and twigs in it, or atleast the two bags I got where.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I have both the black (sand) active flora and the red colored stuff in my 36 gal. The Black sand is very fine grain. And the red is larger chunks of rock. Looks pretty good. Petco had Both brands in the store when I was in there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My goodness this substrate is a PITA when it comes to planting, water changes and such. It is very fine and kicks dust everywhere in the tank. I purchased two bags and took awhile to get it to clear but for the most part its been a decent substrate that has been able to grow most of what I have put into it. I did mix in some black gravel with the top layer to kinda keep that "dusting" from happening too much. Overall decent experience but I went amazonia on a nano and will never look back.

·
Banned
217 Posts
I remember when I bought my first bag of Activ Flora ( from a Petco)...because I was having problems with Flourite (from a Petsmart)

its about the same price...$20 for a 15lb bag (flourite) or $20 for 16-20lb (AF) depending on the color

I have Activ Flora Floralite...which is extremely macroporous with (sem-rounded) coarse grains...and Activ Flora black which is more like a 1:3 sand/gravel mixture...

I remember looking at the make ups of both brands and deciding that they were close enough..but I dont remember them being the same. The only true difference tho is that the Activ Flora is supposed to come with the live bacteria to instantly cycle a tank (which is obviously not tru), so its wet inside the bag...but no need to prewash it...so I guess AF changed their formula bcuz if I remember correctly, it had less Fe and Ca, but significantly more Al.

personally, I love the Activ Flora over the flourite...and I have never had any lasting problems with initial cloudiness either (like i did w/ fluorite)...:proud:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.