The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new tank, 15 gallons, my first planted aquarium. I have a coralife pc light fixture from my reef thank that is 20" long and 96 watts that I am no longer using. It will be raised on legs and about 16" from the substrate. From what I've read this may be too much light, however, half of the bulbs are actinic. Will this still be too much? Am I asking for algae problems, or could this light work with the right plants? I will only be running a DIY biological CO2 system. Thanks in advance for your input, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum!

That light will work, but its going to be difficult to manage, especially for someone's first tank. With DIY Co2 and that much light, you are likely going to be asking for algae. I would go for around 50w on a tank like that. But, since half of it is actinic though you will probably be alright (around 48w effective). I say give it a shot!

Another option is to keep that light, get a full 6.5k bulb and get a larger 24" long tank that can accomidate it. You can find them cheap on CL all the time!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I had that same quad fixture over a 15g tall with pressurized CO2 and EI dosing. Mine had the 6700K bulb and not the 50/50 bulb like you have.

Mine was OK if I stayed right on top of everything. Eventually it was too much work for me and I removed it. That fixture is in storage right now.

With DIY CO2 and ferts, you may have trouble even with your 50/50 bulb.

Do you have Coralife's flip-up (adjustable) legs? They are great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. They're quite helpful, so I guess I'll try it out since I have the fixture and a fairly new bulb in it anyways. I'll post some photos once it is setup. If others have input or other experiences/opinions please don't hesitate to post, I'm still open to input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts