The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about using one actinic bulb in my 4x39 T5HO Catalina fixture that I'm getting. I know that actinics do nothing for plants, but I'm going to be getting green neons and I think that the actinics would really make them glow blue. My question is, would I just be asking for algae because I would have a bulb on there that puts out more light, but the plants can't even use it.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
I have 4 actinics and 4 white bulbs in my T5-HO. I really like how it looks, but it does probably lead to algae. I have had green spot algae, black beard algae, straghorn algae, hair algae, cladophora algae, green dust algae, and probably others that i can't think of. I doubt having one actinic would cause major algae problems, but 4/8 bulbs is way too much (which is what i have).

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 4 actinics and 4 white bulbs in my T5-HO. I really like how it looks, but it does probably lead to algae. I have had green spot algae, black beard algae, straghorn algae, hair algae, cladophora algae, green dust algae, and probably others that i can't think of. I doubt having one actinic would cause major algae problems, but 4/8 bulbs is way too much (which is what i have).
Thanks for the info! Orlando was just telling me about how you had actinics. Does it make the fish colors stand out?

I think I'll go with the one actinic. If I don't like it I can change it and sell it off on n-r or something.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Thanks for the info! Orlando was just telling me about how you had actinics. Does it make the fish colors stand out?

I think I'll go with the one actinic. If I don't like it I can change it and sell it off on n-r or something.

When i had cardinal tetras, they looked so shiny under the actinics. All of the fish have pretty vibrant colors under them, but i can't tell you if it's different from having all whites since i've always had a few actinics. My reason for having actinics was because i like the blue tint the water has with them.

I think it's worth getting at least one to see if you like it. Like you said, you can always sell it if you don't like it.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i had cardinal tetras, they looked so shiny under the actinics. All of the fish have pretty vibrant colors under them, but i can't tell you if it's different from having all whites since i've always had a few actinics. My reason for having actinics was because i like the blue tint the water has with them.

I think it's worth getting at least one to see if you like it. Like you said, you can always sell it if you don't like it.
Thanks. That's what I'll do :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts