The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I received a number of gift cards for Christmas, and like any good aquarist, took myself down to the local LFS yesterday (Boxing Day). My LFS had the FX6 selling at $300, so, I bought one.

I'm currently running 2x Fluval Tidal 110s on my 75 gallon tank. They are doing a great job, but they take up room in the tank and are not the most visually appealing.

Being a relatively handy individual, and also being envious of how well put together some of the smaller tanks are, using lily pipes that are basically invisible, I thought I'd try my hand at making my own lily pipes out of acrylic tubing. I've found local suppliers for both the acrylic tubing as well as the silicone rod needed to support the tubing during the shaping process.

The one question I have is this: the FX6 has a 1" hose; should I go with 1" OD x 3/4" ID (1/8" wall thickness) or 1" OD x 7/8" ID (1/16" wall thickness). I'm concerned that the 1/16" wall thickness of the latter option might not be enough for the pressure the FX6 will put out at full tilt. However, that extra 1/8" of bore diameter with the latter option means less restrictive flow.

What does the board think?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Measure the tubing connection at the top of the fx6. Find acrylic tubing that mostly closely resembles the inner and outer diamter of that connection. Since you have the fx6 in your possession this becomes pretty straight forward. Don't measure the hose, that's meant to stretch.
The inner diameter is 20.5mm and the outer is bang on 1”/25.4mm.

3/4” = 19.05, 7/8” = 22.225mm.

I’m worried that the 7/8” ID might have walls that are too thin, basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Your only concern with tubing thickness should be if it's strong enough to attach and detach from the hose and stand up to cleaning. The pressure from any canister filter isn't enough for it to be a concern at all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your only concern with tubing thickness should be if it's strong enough to attach and detach from the hose and stand up to cleaning. The pressure from any canister filter isn't enough for it to be a concern at all.
Good to know.

I’ve got two pieces of 21mm ID x 25mm OD x 600mm tube en route. Plus a meter of 20mm silicone rod.

Plan to replace the standard Fluval tubing with 25mm vinyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts