The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lurker turned advice seeker. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, forgive me for my jongness.

I recently got a tank I had years ago back from a friend and set 'er back up. It's a 75 gal Acrylic Sea Clear System II w/ the built in wet/dry trickle tray & ball system in the back and also a Magnum 350 canister I added. She's a beautiful tank but now that it's all set up with live plants and driftwood, I noticed some almost-microscopic hairline cracks in the middle of the front. Haven't noticed them spreading but i'm a pessimist and feel like I'm about to have a blowout, which would be very, very bad on the second floor.

I searched on cracks in acrylic and read about the acetone swabbing fix, but seek the sage advice of the posters here before I drain the whole thing and attack my prized tank with acetone.

Should I be panicking? Is there professional help I can turn to if I should be?

Here she is via crappy phone camera and bad flash angle. Not much to see after only a day up, but looking good nonetheless. I have big plans tho. No, you can't see the cracks in the photo- any visible crap is all smudge mess from setup. Other specks are probably duck weed floating around. Hope you like it.

Thanks in advance for any advice. It's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
We need to see pics to verify if its a crack or just scratch. Acrylic tanks, plastics in general tend to show some minor blemish that look s like a crack and usually if they have been exposed to heat or sunlight for a LONG PERIOD OF TIME. Usually those things appear on windows or plastic doors but not in tanks with water.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Need Way better pics!
It could be stress crazing.
I dont understand what you want to fix with acetone. If they are cracks or if it's crazing there is not much you can do about it for material strength only looks. MAYBE
MD

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds like crazing, since anyone with an acrylic tank will know what a scratch looks like. Crazing could be from stress or from using a unapproved chemical based cleaner on the acrylic weaking the material. Acetone or anything in this manner isn't going to remove the crazing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
weld-on 3

If they're truly cracks I would have thought water pressure would have made them worse pretty quickly. However, the product you might want to try is Weld-On 3. It's available online or at acrylics retailers. It is a super thin liquid that's used to build custom acrylic aquariums. It would hopefully fill the cracks and keep your tank together.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
If it is a crack wouldn'it be leaking?

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
it's most likely crazing. chances are you are still a few years away from catastrophic failure. there's nothing you can do about it. from what i understand(i could be wrong...), it's just a spot where the acrylic is weakening from stress/imperfections. just keep an eye on it. when it starts spreading and getting deeper, drain the tank. i've got some minor crazing on my 50g and it's been that way for a couple of years now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts