The Planted Tank Forum banner

ACK!!!!!! termites

9K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  fablau 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice as we are having the house tented for termites on Monday. We will not be able to return until Wed afternoon.

I looked around and found that people have had good luck shrink wrapping their tank once ALL EQUIPMENT is removed( filters,heaters, powerheads, CO2 etc.

I had eight tanks set up. I had to break down my vertical rack with four 40 gal tanks as the rack construction does not allow for a complete seal.
I'll sell these some time in the future.
That leaves me with a 75 gal, a 55, a 40 breeder and a 29 gal tank. All tanks have Eheim canister filters.

I do not know what's best as far as what to do once the filter is removed. Do I clean them after removal?
What if I just un hooked them and did not clean?
Pretty sure that would be a disaster.

Should I try to keep them all running in one trash can or is that a bad idea....

I need some Help - please
Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

See less See more
#33 ·
It is really great.
Thanks you - you were all great support

I just hooked up a few lights.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh peace and quiet .......
with one hell of a view.

Yeeeeehhaaaaa

Probably take a few days to get it all up and running but that is fine with me :)

Thanks again to each of you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#35 ·
I'm a bit late to this thread, but glad to hear things made it okay.

'no hassles'...

Might want to consider running some carbon the next couple days, just for cheap insurance/etc.

Probably not what you want to hear, but when I first seen the 'termites' heading, my first thought was 'cool, cheap/free live food'

#36 ·
Aquaticz, thank you so much for posting your experience here, I have 4 tanks and I am going to have your exact same kind of fumigation (Monday to Friday) in a month or so, therefore I am going to try what you have described here. I have just a question: when you left your sealed tanks inside, did you turn off all the equipment? It is my understanding you removed the filters completely: where did you out all the media inside?

I know this is a old thread, but more details on that would be great. In my big 75gl tank, I have a wet/dry filter, and I guess better stop everything to avoid mixing poisoning air with water... What do you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.