The Planted Tank Forum banner

ACK!!!!!! termites

9K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  fablau 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice as we are having the house tented for termites on Monday. We will not be able to return until Wed afternoon.

I looked around and found that people have had good luck shrink wrapping their tank once ALL EQUIPMENT is removed( filters,heaters, powerheads, CO2 etc.

I had eight tanks set up. I had to break down my vertical rack with four 40 gal tanks as the rack construction does not allow for a complete seal.
I'll sell these some time in the future.
That leaves me with a 75 gal, a 55, a 40 breeder and a 29 gal tank. All tanks have Eheim canister filters.

I do not know what's best as far as what to do once the filter is removed. Do I clean them after removal?
What if I just un hooked them and did not clean?
Pretty sure that would be a disaster.

Should I try to keep them all running in one trash can or is that a bad idea....

I need some Help - please
Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply Blazing wolf

The Termite company will not allow an air pump.
I have shrink wrap from Home Depot and some of the special bags they give you for food, meds etc

Snipped

as for filters, stick em outside with some slightly ammoniated water in a garbage can and leave them running.. keep temps around 40-50 degrees and bacteria will keep on chuggin[/QUOTE]

Ammoniated water .... Ummm can you say more so I might be able to understand the thought process.

If I do this I expect that I will clean each filter before hand with tank water. When I have all four filters clean can I use fresh water that has been declorinated.
Or must I use old tank water.

I cannot carry any weight as I recently popped a disc in my neck (C6-C7) But I probably can siphon water from second floor to rear yard.

What do you think.
I really appreciate your response

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Really appreciate the responses. Not being one to move forward without a plan, I decided to check out the shrink wrap. The wrap is only 20 inches wide and it did not do what I had hoped....

Plan B
I already started cleaning filters and since I only use lava rock I can put all of it in a 10 gallon tank with a korallia. Do I understand correctly to also use an air stone? I will not have access during the tenting so I can add some shrimp food as well as fish flake food to the 10 gallon tank

I am going to use bags provided and use them to wrap up or seal the top. My larger tanks are acrylic, the others glass. I went to the local hardware store and got double sided tape along with the blue 3 m masking tape. I am going to lay down some blue tape first about 3 to 4 inches from the top of the tank. I will apply the double stick on to the blue tape. I have
Cut up the bags cutting out the bottom and cut it so its now a sheet. I will with my wife's help adhere the plastic to the rear of the tank first followed by the front and then both sides....like a Christmas present in reverse. Then I will put blue tape over the edges.
I will start the wrapping process tomorrow and seal the front early Monday morning.

All in all I have about 3o different plants. As a precaution I set up a little tank at work about six weeks ago. I managed to get 15 different plants in that thing...lol

I will be glad when this is over

Discussion starter · #10 ·
All ready.....figured a pic or two may help someone in the future.
Vikane gas tomorrow morning -
I wrapped each tank twice, using the special bags provided. I have five tanks and broke down a vertical setup for emersed plants. I picked up 3m tape and double sided tape, about fifty bucks worth.
On my larger tanks I left one hole open for an air stone that will be removed in the AM as well as a heater. I did 50 % water changes three days ago and then agin today. I added no fertilizers.
Here are some pictures

Property Wood Cabinetry Wood stain Rectangle

Cabinetry Wood Rectangle Floor Wood stain

Wood Rectangle Flooring Art Wood stain

I will post the outcome on Wednesday or Thursday this week.

Fingers XXX

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Thanks for good luck posts. Pretty weird in my living room this AM. I have had tanks in this house for at least 15 years and its dark in here.....lol
My lights usually come on for about 40 minutes before I jump in the shower. Feels weird not knowing if thIs is going to work or not .......

I am going to be busy Wednesday night......either cleaning or re installing everything. All in all it took up the weekend between getting stuff out, cleaning some of it( filter pipes still need a cleaning) packing it up and then getting it out of the house. I had to take all my rocks, DW, gravel blah blah blah and put outside. Actually it took longer than the weekend because I started this little chore two weeks ago

I hope I never have to do this again.......

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Wow, that's scary. My fingers are crossed for you.

I think I would have put in some H2O2, as used for a whole tank algae treatment, just prior to sealing. It releases a lot of oxygen as it reacts. I've used it along with heavy aeration to more quickly reverse the effects of CO2 overdose. Not sure if it's necessary or even effective here though.
Thanks DarkCobra - that was an excellent suggestion. I have a ton of it at home but did not think to do the H2O2 thing.

Thanks also for those wishing me well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

Here is an update
The house bagged
Plant Sky Shade Cloud Tints and shades

Here something else I had not counted on.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

The gas line!
Termite company called the gas company to do a shut off, no doubt for liability, just in case they blow your house up. Well the guy came out and showed us OUR side of the meter. You can clearly see the pipe is deteriorated to the point where it has to be replaced. Supposed to get back in tomorrow but it is going to be 38 degree tomorrow night and I may not have heat because I can not test the gas system once repaired until I turn off all the valves/ shutoff for individual appliances. This is the only way I can test the entire system... I would know as i I am a construction inspector for the State of Ca.

So here we go.....wish me luck
Lets hope it does not cost me additional money for motels rooms. If it does get to 39 with no neat ...I M pretty sure all the cish and critters will be dead....
I HOPE NOT!

One thing is for sure. I am glad I am posting this stuff so someone can benefit from my experience.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Awww man that is scarey how that gas line looks. And what a pain to deal with on top of this. I hope it all works out alright.

Dude - why do they have to make the tent so gawdy looking? It looks like a circus tent!

Lol....I live in Los Angeles... A real circus

Discussion starter · #20 ·
No doubt. Looks like one of those inflatable bounce houses used at kids' parties. I can just see all the termites jumping around inside, having a good old time - until the poison sets in.

BOUNCE HOUSE OF DOOOOOOM! :icon_evil
Your in a better place to laugh :)

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Update... Digging going well

Lol

Jeans Plant Green Grass Slope

Tomorrow we replace the line and no doubt will have remove some concrete on the left.
But the big thing on my mind is MY TANKS
Since I am taking the day off to deal with the gas line I will be chopping to cut open the tanks after air quality is less than 5 ppm.
More on this saga tomorrow...

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I have ONE MORE HOUR B4 I see the Tanks. Not being very successful in eating breakfast to waste time

I am going nuts. With anticipation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Drum roll please............

Everything and I mean absolutely every plant plant and fish SURVIVED. WHHHHHHHHOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO

I LOVE TO CURSE BUT WON't do it here

THS IS FRIGGIN FANTASTIC

THANKS EVERYONE.
WE NOW KNOW A SUCCESSFUL WAY IF THIS EVER HAPPENS TO YOU

Discussion starter · #33 ·
It is really great.
Thanks you - you were all great support

I just hooked up a few lights.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh peace and quiet .......
with one hell of a view.

Yeeeeehhaaaaa

Probably take a few days to get it all up and running but that is fine with me :)

Thanks again to each of you

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Aquaticz, thank you so much for posting your experience here, I have 4 tanks and I am going to have your exact same kind of fumigation (Monday to Friday) in a month or so, therefore I am going to try what you have described here. I have just a question: when you left your sealed tanks inside, did you turn off all the equipment? It is my understanding you removed the filters completely: where did you out all the media inside?

I know this is a old thread, but more details on that would be great. In my big 75gl tank, I have a wet/dry filter, and I guess better stop everything to avoid mixing poisoning air with water... What do you think?
I kept the media alive. I left a small amount of water in the ahem canister. I opened up both pots and placed the filters outside, in shade with a breeze. It kept the media alive.

Bump: must remove all equipment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.