The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to let people know that I just bought some of the ACE ammonia to cycle my tank, only to realize at home that it fails the shake test.

I also poured a bit on my finger, and the "soapy" feeling of the fluid is unmistakable.

Presumably ACE has different suppliers, so please check before you use it in your tank. Basically it should act like water when shaken. Maybe a few bubbles from trapped air that dissipate within a second or two. Any foaming is bad.

Edit: I went back to the store and poked around. I discovered something odd - the 1 gallon jugs of ammonia are fine, the quart containers of the same ACE brand get foamy. Strange.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Bumping an old post for new fishless cyclers out there. I was about to make a new thread on the top. It has been many years since I have purchased ammonia from Ace for cycling and I wasn't sure if what Ace now has is correct for our use. The label use to clearly state that it was pure ammonia. On the bottle I just purchased, the label does not indicate anything in regards to pure or clear ammonia. It is the Janitorial Strength as mentioned above, but mine does pass the shake test with no issues. If the bottle is not of the below image, that might be the reason for the fail.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Went to ace and I got the same stuff that flight50 got. It doesn't say anything bad is in it, but I never understand why they call it ammonia if it is in fact ammonium and not ammonia? I know there's little difference but still would be nice if the labels said ammonium. Maybe it's because most people aren't going to know the differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.