The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about doing a brackish tank so I'm in need of a tool/device to test salt levels. In the future I may do a full marine/saltwater tank, so I kind of prefer the tool to work for both applications (high and low salt levels).

I've seen some say to use a refractometer, plastic hydrometer (of course I would get one that can read into the lower salinity/brackish range), glass hydrometer (even ones used on beer/wine). I also heard you can use a TDS meter to get an idea of salt levels. I assume it would be more complicated/less accurate though.

Don't need a top of the line one, just looking for a cheap one that is usable/fairly accurate for both brackish and marine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just get a refractometer. Even the cheap ones can be calibrated. I've used the same eBay special on my reef tank for years and just recently upgraded to a fancy digital one and it was spot on with the cheap refractometer. Hydrometers are a pain to clean and aren't always accurate.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would also recommend a refractometer. In addition, since you want to maintain a brackish tank I would calibrate it with the usual 35 ppt solution for sea water and also test it against distilled water. You want to make sure it's accurate over the entire range. If you can't get it exact you at least know how much it will be off and can compensate.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Any particular make and model I should get that measures into the low salinity range (brackish) as well? Doesn't have to be top of the line as long as the cheaper ones are accurate enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.