The Planted Tank Forum banner

Acclimation using the float method

3188 25
This is the first episode of many more to come of Aquahound's Dirty Little Secrets. This show is all about using one of the two ways of properly acclimating your investments. The purpose of acclimation to take the water that aquatic life is in and match it to the water parameters of your aquarium water. Enjoy! :wink: Follow the link below to learn how to acclimate your feeshes using the ol float method!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8daxi7mL4
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is Fish keeping 101. I am sure 98% of people on here currently practice this already. That nothing new. To add to that salinity is more or less using in marine keeping. Not many use salt on a routine basis as part of their tank maintenance.
Im not sure what you are getting at and this video is just to inform everyone on how to do the float method when acclimating your fish :) Thanks for checking out my thread!

· Registered
1,402 Posts
What I am getting at is that pretty every knows this already. It sounds like you just trying to get people to view your youtube page to get you hits there. This post has more that 200 views and I am the only one to respond. Acclimating by floating the bag isn't nothing new. Fish stores will even tell newbies this. Sorry if your offended but isn't not a new discovery for the hobby.

· Registered
667 Posts
I don't think the intent was to inform us of a brand new groundbreaking acclimation method. His videos would be rather informative for a newbie. He never said that it was new or directed towards the advanced hobbyist. Granted most of the people on this forum aren't his target market as we are mostly more experience and are familiar with acclimation already. And if you took the time to watch the video you would see he does mention the drip method and even states that it is preferred. Perhaps he is just looking for feedback on some videos he's making. In my opinion the more proper fishkeeping info out there the better, it'll reduce the number of people who don't properly care for their fish, especially in today's age when everyone turns to the internet for information. No need to criticize.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think the intent was to inform us of a brand new groundbreaking acclimation method. His videos would be rather informative for a newbie. He never said that it was new or directed towards the advanced hobbyist. Granted most of the people on this forum aren't his target market as we are mostly more experience and are familiar with acclimation already. And if you took the time to watch the video you would see he does mention the drip method and even states that it is preferred. Perhaps he is just looking for feedback on some videos he's making. In my opinion the more proper fishkeeping info out there the better, it'll reduce the number of people who don't properly care for their fish, especially in today's age when everyone turns to the internet for information. No need to criticize.
Thanks I appreciate this and yeah just informing the new folks getting into the hobby, not trying to one up any of the advanced hobbyists. And this is a very simple old method, nothing new here, but just making sure we acclimate our fish correctly. Tanks! :smile:

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never hurts for the people that don't know. He/she even mentioned the "ol float method". I don't think the intention was to say this was a brand new idea, just merely to help people out.

Good work Hound
Yes just helping the folks that are just getting into the hobby, nothing new about this method. I like making videos on how and why we do things in this hobby, to help those just starting off and maybe even teach a thing or two from my experience to us advanced fish keepers. Tanks! :icon_smil

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the drip method, I have found it works much better
I agree this method is much slower when it comes to introducing your fish and invertebrates to their new home. I actually did a video on the drip method as well, geared towards saltwater, but its all the same when it comes to acclimating our new pets :) Thanks!

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I am getting at is that pretty every knows this already. It sounds like you just trying to get people to view your youtube page to get you hits there. This post has more that 200 views and I am the only one to respond. Acclimating by floating the bag isn't nothing new. Fish stores will even tell newbies this. Sorry if your offended but isn't not a new discovery for the hobby.
Hey pal I don't need YouTube hits to feel all warm inside :wink:. I am merely informing the folks on yes, a method that is not new and well known amongst many hobbyists. However some of the new folks getting into the hobby may be unsure of how to acclimate their fish and invertebrates and that's why I make these videos. I know when I first started I didn't understand how to acclimate fish correctly until I got online and found information on it. No offense taken and it sounds to me like you are very advanced in the hobby and I would love to see your handy work! :icon_smil

· Registered
245 Posts
I don't think most people here object to you posting fishkeeping 101 videos, provided the information you're giving out is actually correct.

For example, the water change video you posted the other day contained error after error. When I replied to tell you so you posted a smart-ass reply to the tune of "I don't care what you think." The thread eventually got deleted by someone, not sure who.

The thing about instructional videos is that when noob fishkeepers encounter them, there is kind of an assumption that the creator knows the subject in and out. When the content turns out to be misinformation (even if it's accidental) it doesn't help anyone and has the potential to annoy folks who put a lot of time and effort into researching the hobby.

· Registered
1,402 Posts
And if you read the original post he never stated anywhere that this is 101 info for a newbie or advanced. Newbie only came out his mouth once others jumped on the bandwagon. Second of all I did watch the video. If you were standing behind me while I watched it, then you would know that I knew what the video was about. Otherwise I would have never commented in the first place.

I never said there was anything wrong with the video. The way everything popped off is as if no one does this. All I stated was that its not a new practice and majority already use it. If it was geared towards newbie, it should had stated that in the original post and I would have never commented. There is alot of mis-information out there in the hobby and all it take is one post to misguide.

Anywho, keep making your videos dude. I am not hating on you for that. Video tutorials are very informative and I have learned many things over the past decade from them. Just be more descriptive as far as intent when you share with others and be able to back up your claim when others ask about it.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think most people here object to you posting fishkeeping 101 videos, provided the information you're giving out is actually correct.

For example, the water change video you posted the other day contained error after error. When I replied to tell you so you posted a smart-ass reply to the tune of "I don't care what you think." The thread eventually got deleted by someone, not sure who.

The thing about instructional videos is that when noob fishkeepers encounter them, there is kind of an assumption that the creator knows the subject in and out. When the content turns out to be misinformation (even if it's accidental) it doesn't help anyone and has the potential to annoy folks who put a lot of time and effort into researching the hobby.
It was removed cuz I said a few naughty words in it. And hey pal water changes are a pretty easy thing to understand as you change the water in your tank with new water ;) In the video I explain how I do it and what works for me. If you don't believe it works for me check out my tank that has been up and running for a year and half with continued plant growth so I must be do something right, right? I am no expert, but I like to make videos on my successes and then share my thoughts to the beginners and experts alike. I would like to know what you think I did was so wrong and I would be glad to explain it to you again as I do not remember your post. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And if you read the original post he never stated anywhere that this is 101 info for a newbie or advanced. Newbie only came out his mouth once others jumped on the bandwagon. Second of all I did watch the video. If you were standing behind me while I watched it, then you would know that I knew what the video was about. Otherwise I would have never commented in the first place.

I never said there was anything wrong with the video. The way everything popped off is as if no one does this. All I stated was that its not a new practice and majority already use it. If it was geared towards newbie, it should had stated that in the original post and I would have never commented. There is alot of mis-information out there in the hobby and all it take is one post to misguide.

Anywho, keep making your videos dude. I am not hating on you for that. Video tutorials are very informative and I have learned many things over the past decade from them. Just be more descriptive as far as intent when you share with others and be able to back up your claim when others ask about it.
The video I made was just an informative video on how to do the float method haha. My audience is everyone interested in the hobby and if you already know everything on the method then why even view this thread in the first place or comment about it? You wanna criticize me about the fact that I didn't address my audience than I am taking this opportunity now to gear this video towards all, newbies and experts alike. Enjoy and comment away if I missed anything else :red_mouth Thanks!

· Registered
5,572 Posts
Have found that the "old float the bag" can sometimes bring trouble depending on shipping distance,and pH inside transport bag.
Let us say the bag with fish has been in transit for 12 to 24 hour's .
Some who ship fish add a little CO2 to the bag to lower the pH and this keep's ammonia in less harmful ammonium form.
We float the bag,and upon opening it,CO2 escapes and pH rises which turn's harmless ammonium into toxic ammonia.We then begin pouring a little water from out tank into the bag intermittenly and if water is harder than that inside the bag,,ammonia level increases further.
Now day's , I usually float the bag for a few minutes and then just met the fish out.
Still use drip method for sensitive fish,but most other's I have found do well with just temp acclimation followed by netting the fish and placing it in the tank.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have found that the "old float the bag" can sometimes bring trouble depending on shipping distance,and pH inside transport bag.
Let us say the bag with fish has been in transit for 12 to 24 hour's .
Some who ship fish add a little CO2 to the bag to lower the pH and this keep's ammonia in less harmful ammonium form.
We float the bag,and upon opening it,CO2 escapes and pH rises which turn's harmless ammonium into toxic ammonia.We then begin pouring a little water from out tank into the bag intermittenly and if water is harder than that inside the bag,,ammonia level increases further.
Now day's , I usually float the bag for a few minutes and then just met the fish out.
Still use drip method for sensitive fish,but most other's I have found do well with just temp acclimation followed by netting the fish and placing it in the tank.
I agree and I prefer doing the drip method as well. I still net the fish out of the bag after floating though to prevent mixing that water in the bag with that of the water in your tank. Thanks for viewing and the advice :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.