The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I recently got 6 new bolivian ram juveniles and 6 american flag juveniles. They've been in the QT tank for 2 weeks now and I think I'm ready to transition them into the main display. My concern is the difference in pH between the two tanks. I know intellectually that the lower pH in the main tank is generally not considered an issue for the fish but I am worried to the point of inaction when it comes to stressing these little guys through the event. What are your thoughts? I plan to equalize the temps between the two tanks over the next day or two, so I won't have that to worry about any way.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I started acclimating my fish to both temp and water params after I had a few near accidents. I added a school of red fin tetra to my tank which is at 30-40ppm co2, after only doing a float (temp acclimation). Almost immediately they all went to the back in the plants and were gasping like crazy. I put an air stone in and degassed as much co2 as possible, and they recovered over about an hour time frame. Now I slowly add tank water to the bag as it floats to reduce the stress of a fast parameter change.
Matt

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'm just outside of myself with these rams. Last summer I bought 6 from a local dealer. They looked like rams, right? Nothing outstanding about them and I guess I was, at the time, still a bit tentative because I had just gotten back into the hobby from a couple year hiatus. The last systems I had were reef and I had good success with them. This was a first step into FW planted tanks, so I was a little green (no pun intended). I took these fish home, acclimated them, and then over the next 3-4 weeks, lost all but one of them. She's a tank. I am remembering this episode without a lot of delight and I do not want to have a repeat of that experience! These new kids are healthy and eating like pigs in the little tank, but I feel like when I move them to the big one I'll lose the ability to watch them constantly and assure myself that they're doing ok....

I think I'll turn off the CO2 for a day and run the airstones and degas as much as possible after a WC and see how it goes. I have to do something soon because they're growing fast and this little QT is quite overstocked at the moment.

Thanks for the support! LOL

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Turn off you CO2 when acclimating them. I've learned my lesson by killing an oto and 3 amanos.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
if it were me, and i've acclimated my fair share of ottos

i leave my co2 wide open but run an airstone, the key is putting them in the tank at night so they can get comfortable in it, and when co2 turns on they already aren't stressed from being in a new home

my rams did fine when i had them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts