The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just ordered a RO system which I should be receiving this week. What is the best way to acclimate from tap water to the RO water? I have a 12gal long. I was thinking about maybe a 2 gallon water change every couple of days? Also, I ordered the Salty Shrimp GH+. Is this in powder or liquid form. Do you add a bit to the RO water and test the GH/TDS in each gallon jug? What's the best way to get acceptable levels?

My tap water is almost perfect except for TDS being around 190-210.

Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Best idea is to probably mix RO with tap and do small water changes with drip acclimation.

You might try mixing 50/50 and checking the KH and GH of the water. If not ideal, you can try more or less of one over the other. May be able to get away with doing mixed RO/tap rather than having to go straight RO.

From.... SALTYSHRIMP - Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+

Dosage
Use Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ to re-mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. to reach a total hardness of about 6 °dH and/or a conductance of about 200 +/- 50 µS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 3 g) to 20 litres of water is sufficient.
Measuring spoon enclosed.

And it is a powder form that dissolves.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Match the PH, GH, TDS, and Temp of your RO/SaltyShrimp water to your tanks water... and do a 90% WC if you want. Slowly refilling tank with pump/hose in 20 minutes
(I did it when switching from Kent RO Right to SaltyShrimp)

I've done matching-perameters' 90% WC's many times with extremely delicate fresh/marine fish/invertebrates without any problems :wink:

P.S... IMHO your TDS might be a little too high? I keep mine 140-150 PPM
(1 level scoop of SS to 5gal of RO water = TDS around 140)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Make such changes slowly, about 10% lower of whatever parameter you are measuring each time, and a maximum of 2 such water changes per week. It might take several weeks to get the water changed, but it takes time for livestock to adjust to the change.
Example: If your current TDS is 200, then the first water change would drop this to not lower than 180. The next to
162, then 146... until you reached your goal. When in doubt a smaller amount of change in parameters is safer.

Ditto Got Light:
If you need to do larger water changes then make the water as close as you can to what they are currently in, and you can do very large water changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts