The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i know. Plain stupid mistake. Left my heater plugged in outside of the tank. 5 min later started smelling like someone was grilling plastic, but no, it was my heater melting the holder. I unplugged it, but just before i did there was a spark within the heater. Correct me if im wrong but that must have been the fuse. Would i still be wise to turn on the heater again?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yes i know. Plain stupid mistake. Left my heater plugged in outside of the tank. 5 min later started smelling like someone was grilling plastic, but no, it was my heater melting the holder. I unplugged it, but just before i did there was a spark within the heater. Correct me if im wrong but that must have been the fuse. Would i still be wise to turn on the heater again?
I'd go buy a new one. IMO for what they cost it's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I've never torn one down and found any fuse. I'm not sure what purpose it would serve in a sealed heater? Fuses are made for things that we might expect to repair and that's not any heater I find.
My guess would be that the spark was when the heating coil broke. But then if you have any need for a heater that doesn't regulate any longer like in a reserve water tank, there would be no danger in plugging it in to see if it heats. Once they overheat badly, they are usually junk for tank use.

A current posting that might give some info on what may have happened inside the heater.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/1019777-my-new-heater-working-right.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.