The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to meld thin acrylic to thin glass. What types of silicone are acceptable? Would it be acceptable to use something other than the "aquarium grade" silicone found at the local PS. What are some other options. Clear, or black, not white. Thanks for your help!

· Registered
1,495 Posts
Looking to meld thin acrylic to thin glass. What types of silicone are acceptable? Would it be acceptable to use something other than the "aquarium grade" silicone found at the local PS. What are some other options. Clear, or black, not white. Thanks for your help!
GE 1200 100% silicone is clear and I have used it to build several tanks. With that said I don't think its a good idea to bond acrylic to glass for any structural uses. Just my opinion.

Dan

· Registered
569 Posts
Acrylic to glass is an extremely problematic combination. Most silicones will literally fall off acrylic when dry. The best you can do is hold baffles in place by building up a thick gasket of silicone and accepting that leaks past a sump baffle are not important.

There is a GE Silicone for plastic that bonds to both glass and acrylic, but I don't know if anyone has tested it in an aquarium long term.

Also note that most plastics expand when wet. Acrylic baffles in a glass sump must be cut undersized or they will expand and crack the tank. I don't think it is smart to design a system that requires a reliable bond between acrylic and glass.

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses, it's actually for a model. I need to see the cheapest commercial production costs for all glass or all plastic. I just wanted to get something designed, I'm a very visual person and it should be relatively inexpensive to build. Wish I could say more but I don't want to give my idea away! Thanks again

· Registered
1,495 Posts
Thanks for the responses, it's actually for a model. I need to see the cheapest commercial production costs for all glass or all plastic. I just wanted to get something designed, I'm a very visual person and it should be relatively inexpensive to build. Wish I could say more but I don't want to give my idea away! Thanks again
Then I might suggest a 2 part clear epoxy you can buy the 5 min stuff from most hardware stores.

Dan

· Children Boogie
16,742 Posts
mistergreen, it has to be quasi/ somewhat functional. tape wouldn't work with water. But I could use it to hold it in place while I glue it. Another great thought thank you
Gluing acrylic to glass is as good as using tape alone.

There's a reason you don't see this combo in manufactured products.

For all acrylic there is an acrylic weld compound, not silicone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

· Registered
1,495 Posts
Gluing acrylic to glass is as good as using tape alone.

There's a reason you don't see this combo in manufactured products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
not true I used 2 part epoxy to glue 2 metal hinges to 6mm glass that is screwed into a wood frame by the hinges and the glass hangs for glass doors on my custom Bearded dragon tank I made. The glass is 2 feet by 2.5 feet and 6 mil thick. 2 yrs with no problems. I have since changed their tank. Its not something I would recommend structurally but its far stronger than tape.

But I agree on the glass/Acrylic thing its definitely not a good combo but for a model... whatever works cheap

Dan

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm just gonna suck it up and get the weld-on 4 stuff off the internet for $20. But then I need to make sure I prep the pieces real good. I'm sure there's a video I can watch. Thanks for the help

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Seems like you're going in difficult circles. You want to join acrylic and glass.
It's a proto type for something that's going to be all glass or all plastic. There's nothing suitable for joining plastic and glass.
Make the prototype all glass or all plastic.

· Registered
569 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.